FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C300 and MC 8.3 plugin and ingest ISSUES

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lauren nicolette
Canon C300 and MC 8.3 plugin and ingest ISSUES
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:05:56 am

Hello everyone - looking for some help I'm working on a feature length documentary that has a lot of C300 raw footage that I need to ideally ama link to and make an offline edit of, or ingest, or just get it into the project somehow at this point.

I'm on MC 8.3, I have the most current MVP_CanonXF64 plugin, and the MSP_MXF Plug-in installed. (see screen shot). I cannot AMA link to it, not matter how hard I try - - move card to root directory, OPTION drag into bin, try individual MXF's. The file structure is in tact and is readable in FCP and the Canon XF Utility.

From the Canon webpage, it looks like the plugin is compatable up to MC v7, but I'm not finding anyone having issues using it in 8, which has been out for a while and I'm feeling I would read more if people are having issues with it.

I CAN use the "EXPORT TO MXF" feature in the Canon Utility program which renames my clips and MXF media and moves it to a new unique folder (but have no control over how it is converting the files) and ingest that MXF into MC8. Here's the kicker - - - - when it ingests, even if it set to ingest at the designated format it ignores that and reads it as XDCAM 50mb in the format in the bin.

Ok - so 50MB is technically online and not that much bigger than dnx36.. so let's just edit in that and let it be - - but WHY is it doing this? It's also drastically shifting the color space doing it this backwards way.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas please send them over I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Lauren

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Canon C300 and MC 8.3 plugin and ingest ISSUES
on Jan 29, 2015 at 2:18:02 pm

It sounds to me as though you recorded 50Mb on the Canon so that is why you are seeing it that way. When it converted to MXF, all it is doing is a rewrapping to an MXF wrapper keeping the codec the same. That is why there is no transcode option and it should be very fast, pretty much the speed of a copy. And while it "may" be renaming the file, it may not be renaming the source name used as part of a REEL ID for conform, relink, etc. On one of those clips you did get into the system, look at these three columns in the bin; Tape, Source File, TapeID. One of them will have what is considered the file name for these relink/conform operations.

Also, 50Mb versus DNxHD36 (Mb) is close in data rate but are very different encoding techniques. DNxHD is an I frame encoding allowing for fast performance as each frame is immediately addressable in editorial. The Canon material is encoded as LongGOP which allow for low data rates with better picture quality.

So one consideration is to edit with the native files as it only takes up ~50% more storage, and depending on storage and connection infrastructure, performance may not be an issue.

I have not Canon test material myself to test with to see what the issue might be with AMA - if you are willing to share a small file, zip it and send it to me via filemail.com which allows for large sends to michael[at]24p[cot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:54:25 pm

Lauren,

I use C300 ftg all the time with no issues using MC v8.2 on a HP820. I always copy a card image to our media server and AMA link from there. I would suggest not using the Auto Detect option in the "Files of Type" box. Pick the Canon XF Folder option as indicated in the screen cap. You need to select the root folder of the card image.

Lee

Return to posts index

lauren nicolette
on Jan 30, 2015 at 11:36:49 pm

Hi Lee thank you for your response, unfortunately I've tried this and it is not working. I've tried uninstalling my whole avid, reinstalling a trial of MCv7 (looked like canon plugin was only supported up to MC7) and trying again to no avail.

As Mike mentioned above, I think somehow ingesting at the native 50mb and cutting online may be my only option. I'm using log/transfer in FCP. In preferences changing the Canon XF plugin to transcode to: native, which is reading it as a 50mb Canon XF file, then ingesting that into Avid and selecting to ingest at the native resolution - which is reading as XDCAM 50mb. It's a hassle but even if I got the AMA to work now I'd be terrified to online a full feature with all these issues I've had, so maybe just cut in online since it's not that much bigger than 36.

I wish I had another Avid to try this from as well so I could better try and isolate the problem, but I do not have one available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]