FORUMS: list search recent posts

An Avid Rookie asks, "Does Avid Play Nicely With After Effects?"

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
An Avid Rookie asks, "Does Avid Play Nicely With After Effects?"
on Jan 28, 2015 at 10:26:49 pm

Running MC 6.5.2, Win 7 Enterprise SP1, 16 GB RAM. Still an Avid beginner, e.g. I have no clue what AMA or Interplay do, other than they exist.

The boss says I'm going to get After Effects CS6 on my machine, which is great -- I've been using AE since the days of Media 100 V. 4. I won't have work on AE at home, and swap files via sneakernet.
But the station engineers will install the software -- they know how to install stuff, not run stuff, so I need to have all my ducks in a row when it happens.
To prepare for its arrival, I'm trying to anticipate problems. So all you Avid/AE users, here come a few questions:
  • Will AE read & write MXF files as-is on Avid Media drives? If not, what additional software do I need?
  • I recall the days of Automatic Duck, though I never could personally use it. Can a recent version of AE import something like an Avid XML file as a comp? Point me in the right direction to learn the drill for going from Avid sequence to After Effects comp.
  • Anything else an Avid Rookie and an AE vet should know for a seamless workflow?

Any help and comments are greatly appreciated.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Powell
Re: An Avid Rookie asks, "Does Avid Play Nicely With After Effects?"
on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:52:11 am

Auto Duck is still the way to get from Avid to AE. Boris Transfer is a similar product that accomplishes the same. I would look into Boris as there should be some tuts on the site as to how it works and what it will translate.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2015 at 2:55:35 pm

Or you export a SAME AS SOURCE QT file...bring that into AE...do your work, Export out a DNxHD QT...AMA link and consolidate (zero quality loss) into Avid. The only time recompression occurs is when you render out of AE.

But yes, if you want all the layers and individual media files...The Duck is the way

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:32:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:00:36 pm

Thanks, David and Shane...

To clarify... if I use The Duck, does this mean that AE sees the same video/audio files that appear in the corresponding Avid edit timeline? The Duck merely makes a AE comp containing footage that points to the original Avid media files? That's how it worked with Media 100 v.5 & AE v.4.1. Any transcoding or exporting necessary?

I'll guess the answers are "yes" and "yes", followed by "no". Just trying to confirm. Sounds like a trip to Wes Plate's legacy Duck site may be in order.

Finally: can AE render/export DNxHD MXF files to import into Avid? That would be really slick. Does AE require any additional software for that trick?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jan 30, 2015 at 1:04:22 am

After Effects CS6 and above don't need anything special. It has a feaure called "Pro Import" which is the rebranded Automatic Duck. Just export an AAF and use Pro Import to bring it in. Keep in mind, if you're using MXF media, you can't embed ProRes into an AAF. Also, you'll need After Effects CC2014 to view Pro Res MXF media.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35:59 pm

Thanks. I thought Pro Import was a flash in the pan; glad to hear that's not so. And thanks also for the export explanation. I'm a rookie... I wondered what an AAF was, but now I can learn more.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]