FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording files for Avid with Nexio Amp using Avid codec

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Skinner
Recording files for Avid with Nexio Amp using Avid codec
on Jan 28, 2015 at 10:08:20 pm

I am using a Harris/Imagine Communications Nexio Amp to record camera ISOs. I purchased the AVID codec license from Harris/ Imagine to record natively so the editors do not have to convert files. However the editors are getting this error message when importing the files I give them.

Exception: Abstract MDB::Scan MXFfile ToMobManager - Files is not MXF op-Atom
An error occurred while scanning the file

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Recording files for Avid with Nexio Amp using Avid codec
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:46:26 am

How were they added to the project? Dropped directly into the MXF file folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder? They may need to be accessed via the MXF AMA folder then consolidated into the project.

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Skinner
on Jan 29, 2015 at 3:27:53 pm

Hi Michael-
My editor sent me this screen shot.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 29, 2015 at 3:32:02 pm

hmmm... was an image visible when loaded? Seems to me there might be an issue with the way the files are being created that is not fully up to spec with either the essence, the metadata or both. Can you open and play this file in Resolve or other application?

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 29, 2015 at 3:36:23 pm

Also, assuming ther is both picture and sound with these recording, if Avid native MXF, then there would be a one file for every track in the recording, for example 1 video and a LEFT/RIGHT mono would result in 3 separate files. Is that the case here?

If you can spare a file, I can look at it. Use filemail.com for large sends to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Dan Skinner
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:06:53 pm

Michael-
I just sent the file to you. Thank you for help. If you need a longer file, let me know.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:18:45 pm

Thanks, I'll try to get to this today and get back to you with any findings.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:17:44 pm

OK - my findings:

1. It is an MXF OP1a file meaning all essence files are contained within the same file. This means it cannot be added to to the Avid MediaFiles folder directly as it expects the files to separate for all tracks. If you open the file with MediaInfo you will see this info as well as it being DNx 220 1080i/59.94 and its timecode.

2. File plays fine with Assimilate Scratch Play, Resolve, and Premiere Pro CC 2014.

3. It also plays in Media Composer via AMA linking using MXF AMA plug-in, but cannot be transcoded or consolidate as I am getting the same errors you are. It does create a Crash log and I will email tha tback to you to send to Avid.

4. In Resolve, I exported both new OPAtom and OPAtom 1A files. OP1a linked fine with MXF AMA and I was able to consolidate with no issues. The OPAtom files were dropped into the Avid MediaFiles MXF folder structure, and they too were able to be consolidated, transcoded with no issues.

So, I still cannot point a finger at exactly the problem lies, but I would start with Avid as all other players seem fine with the file. But this does not rule out that something is missing in the file to satisfy Avid's spec for MXF AMA. Sending the same file to AVID should give then the same info I was able to get from a few tests. As you can see, there are slight differences between the original MXF file sent, and the same file exported from Resolve with the same MXF specs and codec/data rate. Now whether or not any one or more of these makes a difference, I don't know, but one works, and the other doesn't.

Michael

Return to posts index

mike harper
on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:39:22 pm

Check MXF op-Atom in Nexio config. BUT DO VIA TECH SUPPORT!
In the Nexio Config you may have an option for this Nexio uses a LXF format. its like MFX with extra options. Nexio wraps/ unwraps in multiple files mxf . mov etc.LFX is the parent container
Assuming you license is fine you should not not have issues.
Mike

Mike Harper
http://www.editscore.com/

Return to posts index

mike harper
on Feb 6, 2015 at 12:38:54 am

Dan what was the update? Did you find a solution?

Mike Harper
http://www.editscore.com/

Return to posts index

Dan Skinner
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:13:00 pm

I have not found a solution. I sent your findings on to the guys who do the editing. I'm waiting to hear from them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]