FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mediacomposer 5.5 and 6.5 on one machine

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teun Groenendijk
Mediacomposer 5.5 and 6.5 on one machine
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:15:31 pm

HI, Is it possible to install Mediacomposer version 5.5 and version 6.5 on one machine.
I had one PC (Windows 7, 64) running with 5.5 with support of the Adrenaline HD. and on another PC (same configuration) Mediacomposer 6.5.

The first one I used because of the capturing possibilities, the second machine for the editing. But the second machine with version 6.5 died :-(

Is it possible to install both on one machine and edit with one and capture with the other?

If not, is it possible to run two same version of Windows 7 on one PC? So I can install in one the version 5.5 with Adrenaline and one the other partition 6.5 for editing.

I hope you understand what I mean.
BTW both are legal versions!

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
Re: Mediacomposer 5.5 and 6.5 on one machine
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:29:20 pm

I don't believe so. AVID requires you to uninstall your current version and then install the new version when updating. I've had issues when I forgot to uninstall the older version. The newer one won't launch. I'd love to hear from other users!

Return to posts index

Teun Groenendijk
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:31:22 pm

Thanks for your quick reply... I was afraid for this answer...

Teun

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 28, 2015 at 10:33:36 am

Dual boot is the only way to do it. But you then have 2 OS's to manage etc

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 28, 2015 at 3:27:42 pm

Unless you really need some of the other options from the adrenaline box ...tc out, two channels of SDI out, analog audio, it would be way easier to simply ditch it, spend 150 dollars for an inexpensive piece of capture hardware, and stick with the 6.5 version...or upgrade and get current. AMA, as well as other features run much better on the newer software.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Teun Groenendijk
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:33:53 pm

PAT, thanks for your reaction.
This will be the option I will use for this moment.

And GLEN, also thanks, that will be the option for the near future. May I ask which capture device you will advice?

GRTZ Teun

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 30, 2015 at 12:30:57 am

I have a few different systems, and they all have different I/O devices. My main box uses a Kona 3. Certainly not in the "cheap" category, but perhaps one of the best alternatives, if Avid is your only concern.

I Have a Matrox MXO2 which I used to use with an older Mac Tower. It has since been relegated to "if I need something on the road" status. Works quite well, and has a nice form factor with Analog and digital ins and outs, and can be hard wired into a desktop, or slide into a PCMCIA type port on a laptop. I just discovered the drivers for it are not compatible with Avid 8.3 yet...so be careful.

The reason the Mxo2 was relegated was because of my need for Black magic devices to run as well, so my Mac tower currently has an Extreme 3d from Black Magic in it. Again, pretty much every I/O type you could ask for. No longer sold however, and again, not cheap...pretty much the same as their high end 4k card.
(4k extreme)

My main box (with the Kona) also has a BlackMagic 4k capture card in it. It is the Decklink SDI 4K..about 180.00 or so? I need it more for monitoring out of Resolve (and now fusion..which seems to have lost its Kona ability with BM buying it!) but I see no reason it wouldn't work for ingest as well.

My latest is a Black Magic Mini recorder. Got this off Ebay for a pretty reasonable price. It will probably come on the road with me next time. I've used it for a test only on my HP Laptop. HDSDI in and then connects to the laptop with thunderbolt. The test I did worked well, and it is very small for portability. It doesn't have machine control, if you would need that, so it is definitely geared towards a specific userbase.

For proper machine control, I would try Kona, MXO2, and then one of the BM cards with that function attached. They all play nice with Avid, but only the BM products will work with Resolve as well, if that looks to be in your future.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Teun Groenendijk
on Feb 2, 2015 at 10:17:26 pm

Glenn,
Thanks so much for your detailed answer.
I found a very cheap MXO2 (second hand, 50 euro) and may be this will be the solution. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]