FORUMS: list search recent posts

How well does Avid 8.3 FrameFlex and 4k run on MacBook Pros ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
How well does Avid 8.3 FrameFlex and 4k run on MacBook Pros ?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:45:27 pm

Anyone running Avid 8.3 on a MacBook Pro or Retina? How is performance with FrameFlex and 4k on the machine?

The white paper says a minimum of 16GBs of ram is recommended to get ok performance from features like 4k and FrameFlex. Seems like it's geared more towards towers, which is okay and since Apple will probably upgrade their laptops soon. The current laptops only have a maximum of 16GBs, I'm curious to know how well these features actually do run.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: How well does Avid 8.3 FrameFlex and 4k run on MacBook Pros ?
on Jan 25, 2015 at 4:53:40 pm

I run v8.3 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15. It works extremely well for me. Part of the reason it works well is because ALL my clips and media files run off an external Thunderbolt drive setup. My working drives are 2 x 1 Gb SSD's in a non-RAID setup. My storage drives are RAID0, SATA III served thru a Highpoint RS6328 Rocketstor.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 25, 2015 at 5:04:15 pm

Even with the minimum of 16GBs? That's kind of what concerns me most about the MacBook Pro combo with FrameFlex on 4k media down scaling in an HD project; or all native 4k media and project alone.

Good to know you've had a good experience thus far.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 25, 2015 at 9:35:53 pm

What saves my bacon is I never run more than 3 video tracks. I'm sure if I had 12 tracks, it might not work as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]