FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitles import and SubCap

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jp Brochu
Subtitles import and SubCap
on Jan 22, 2015 at 9:40:29 pm

I’m having trouble importing subtitles in MC.

My workflow is:

-Subtitles are created in the free app AEGISUB (aegisub.org).
-Exported from there in STL format.
-In Avid, I make sure that my timeline TC matches the one from my subtitle file
-I place the « SubCap » effect on V2 and I import my STL file.

The problem:

My (main) problem is that it only imports the first few subtitles. I don’t see why. I first thought it was because some subtitles were overlapping but it does not seem to be that. I’ve tried different character encoding without success.

What I find strange is that, when I try to import my STL file the first time, I can see the first 7 subtitles. If I go back in my subtitle creation program (Aegisub), and I delete the first 7 subtitles, export the rest and try importing again, SubCab see the « next » 2 subtitles. I can do that for the whole file (which take for ever) and SubCap will always import one or two subtitles at a time, never more.

I wish I could try importing it in « Avid DS caption file » format, but I don’t have any software to convert my file to that format. (AEGISUB can export in multiple format such as SRT, ASS, SSA, etc.)

Here is a link to the subtitle file I’m trying to import. TC starts at 00:00 :00 :00 and there should be 56 subtitles.

THE FILE (10ko) : http://goo.gl/AOaixS

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Subtitles import and SubCap
on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:52:29 pm

What is the expected frame rate of the project? 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97NDF?

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:34:45 pm

I used a demo version of EZTitles to view the STL file, and based on a few of the timecodes assumed 24fps. The demo version only support the first 25 subtitles, but at least it was more than the 7 you were getting.

When using Avid SubCap, I get the same results as you do - only the first 7. When using the EZTitles AVX plug-in to bring in the files, I see all of them and the quality of the graphic is better as well as it observes placement, and number of lines better than Avid SubCap. I also tried the EZTitle Convertor to create the Avid DS version and it worked fine as well for the first 25 subtitles as allowed by the demo version. It too had the same placement, line issues as STL in Subcap which really only supports text and not of the other metadata supported in the EZTitle AVX version. As seen here:

You can download demos from here:

http://www.eztitles.com/index.php?page=demos

They have purchase and rental versions available.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jp Brochu
on Jan 23, 2015 at 9:37:12 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for your help!

I guess all I need to find now is a way to convert my title to DS.

I was ready to buy EZtitle but it is way too expensive for me. Almost the same price as AVID itself...

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 23, 2015 at 10:07:44 pm

You might consider either splitting up your file into 25 subtitle segments, or renting the conversion version for a month if time is of the essence.

Mchael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]