FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I specify a folder to which Consolidate a sequence?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
Can I specify a folder to which Consolidate a sequence?
on Jan 18, 2015 at 1:24:03 am

I am consolidating various project to a same drive.
So far all I was able to chose was the destination drive but not a specific folder to keep the projects organized.
These projects are totally different and I need to create folders with the project name on it so I can stay organized.

Tips?

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can I specify a folder to which Consolidate a sequence?
on Jan 18, 2015 at 2:29:55 am

Avid can't do that. it can only see, and render to, consolidate to, a specific file structure. But, it will always default to the lowest number. SO! change the number 1 that already exists in the Avid MediaFiles>MFX folder to another...like "3" or "4", if they don't already exist. THEN consolidate. All of the files you consolidate will be in that new "1" folder.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Jan 18, 2015 at 5:22:53 am

hmm... so a drive with several projects and media must look like a mess organisation wise?

thx for the tip Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2015 at 7:47:54 am

Organization is all done internally in Avid. One really doesn't venture outside to organize. Unless you are like me and do it like I mentioned here. I know, coming from FCP this is a very different way of doing things.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 18, 2015 at 2:51:28 pm

You can also look into the different options for AAF export. In addition to "Link to", you can also a
copy" and other operations to a targeted folder on any drive. But in all cases, as Shane says, it is "Avid managed which means it works one way which may or not fit the way you want to work.

Michael

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Jan 18, 2015 at 5:20:23 pm

I also noticed the clips/files that are added to the folder with the sequence I consolidated in the project
I understand that it's all the clips from the sequence.

So far I delete them but am I missing something in the reason why Avid does this or am i doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2015 at 7:52:45 pm

[Olivier Prudhomme] "I also noticed the clips/files that are added to the folder with the sequence I consolidated in the project
I understand that it's all the clips from the sequence."

Yes. Those are the clips that are in the sequence. They are new clips that are linked to the new media that you consolidated over. What I do with those is make a new bin and call those CONSOLIDATED CLIPS.

[Olivier Prudhomme] "So far I delete them"

Why on earth are you doing that? I guess because you think you don't have any reason to have them. But if you ever wanted to match back to the clip, you can't now. There are many reasons to keep those clips, just because you can't understand why now doesn't mean you should delete them. Just move them to another bin.

[Olivier Prudhomme] "am I missing something in the reason why Avid does this or am i doing something wrong?"

Avid does this so that there is a clip linked to media. It always likes to have a clip linked to media. You see, you had a clip linked to the main media before...the full length clip. Say you had a 10 min clip, and you use only 10 seconds of it. You have a clip linked to that 10 min of media. But now you consolidated and have a copy of that small 10 second section of media....possibly with handles. That media is new, and different from the 10 min section. So a new clip needs to be made that is linked to that new media.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Jan 18, 2015 at 5:22:21 pm

[Michael Phillips] "You can also look into the different options for AAF export."

I don't know anything about this
I'll look into it
As long as it allows me to move projects around, it's all good

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 18, 2015 at 8:03:08 pm

My 2 cents...

You can manage media at the desktop level using the method Shane described.....I actually do sometimes..but the preferred method is to do it within Avid using the Media Tool. Learn to use the Media Tool first, and see if that accomplishes what you need before resorting to obscure workarounds involving renaming your Avid MediaFiles folders. Don't mimic what you did in FCP.... In most cases its unnecessary, and if you are not well versed in what you are doing you can mess things up royally.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2015 at 10:01:32 pm

True...the way I do things is pretty advanced. Most stuff like this should be done internally in the projects.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]