FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I load "Offline media" from a friend's timeline

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt chapman
How do I load "Offline media" from a friend's timeline
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:46:32 am

Hey y'all!

I have a friend whom I am trying to help out with on an edit that they have. They performed the first edit in AVID and brought it to me. I have not used Media Composer too much but have the 30 day learning version on my machine in order to see if we can get a file out of the .AAF format.

I got the sequence to load, and the files are on my RAID, but all media shows itself as "Offline". I open the media tool and then I only have the options of "All drives".

The media remains offline.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Chapman

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How do I load "Offline media" from a friend's timeline
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:52:11 am

The files must be on a very specific file path on your RAID. There must be an Avid MediaFiles folder on the root level, and in that a folder called MXF, and then in that, numbered folders. If the names differ by the smallest amount, Avid won't see them. If there are any special characters in the RAID name, like ":!@#$%^&*() Avid won't see them.

If there's an OMFI MediaFiles folder, it too must be on the very root level of the hard drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:00:31 am

So yes, we only have the media managed files, but the MXF numbers seem to match up decently (starting with 001, 002, etc, etc).

Is there a way to point AVID back to the new (copied over) files? Or is it back to the drawing board.

Many thanks Shane,
chapman

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:04:36 am

As long as they are specifically how I said they should be laid out, Avid should detect them. Needs to be EXACTLY like this:

If it is, and Avid still doesn't see the media....go into the numbered folders and delete these files:

msmFMID.pmr
msmMMOB.mdb

Avid will rebuild them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:04:26 am

If Avid can see the media it will show up in media tool.
So start there.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2015 at 2:22:23 pm

Also no need to exchange AAF files between systems. Just copy the entire project folder to the other system to start.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 15, 2015 at 2:34:43 pm

To avoid odd project setting coming across I prefer to make a fresh project of the same name (so media shows up in media tool under that project) the copy and paste bins from old project into new project. Obviously old project needs to be located in a different location to new one.
But as long as project versions are similar projects should move around ok.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2015 at 2:38:11 pm

Good point. If that is a concern, then create a new project from within MC. Close application and only copy the bin (.avb) from the old project to the new.

Michael

Return to posts index

matt chapman
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:23:16 pm

I think one problem we are running into is that the media is MXF, and I think they used pluralEyes or something like it to sync the media (which I don't have). Thus the media all shows "Synced". I can hear the sound but can't see picture, it says "media offline".

Is that of any help?

Chap

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:41:35 pm

Ina PluralEyes roundtrip, it is jut metadata pointers to the existing media on the system where the events have been slipped on the tracks to be in sync with each other (changing timeline relationship to be in sync). When this AAF comes back, it just points to the existing media with the new relationships defined. From there, they can subclip out each of the events to create a subclip where it can point to two different sources.

If you go to the MediaTool, do you see any video assets at all?

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 17, 2015 at 4:34:31 pm

Perhaps a screen grab of your media location would help. This sounds like you are simply missing the files. Is there any way the video was ama'd and the audio was imported?

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]