FORUMS: list search recent posts

Coming from FCP, trying to "media manage" a sequence

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
Coming from FCP, trying to "media manage" a sequence
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:26:15 pm

Pretty new to AVID and I am trying to - in FCP terms - "media manage" a sequence.
I want to take a sequence and "transfer" the sequence and media of course to an external drive.

In FCP I would select the sequence and then hit Media Manage and chose to Copy the media to my external drive.
A new project would be created on the drive and all I would have to do is open this new project and it would relink to the media on the drive.

I know AVID is different and it's ok. I am not comparing and I LOVE Avid !! :-)

Thx in advance

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Coming from FCP, trying to "media manage" a sequence
on Jan 9, 2015 at 7:54:45 pm

There are a couple ways to do this:

1. Put sequence into its own bin (just to make management easier)
2. Highlight sequence and select "consolidate" from clip menu
3. Select your external drive and any handles you might want to add this method will move what is in the sequence plus handles.
4. Click OK
5. Your bin will now have a new consolidated sequence as well as a lot of .new clips.
6. Open this bin in the same project on another system with the target drive attached.

Or.

1. Select sequence in bin
2. Select AAF as export type
3. In the picture and sound settings, use "copy media" to target folder (same as AAF target)
4. There may be some other options, but I am not in front of my system right now.
5. Click OK and let it do its thing
6. Copy bin with sequence and drive attached. Make sure the MediaFile folder path created is at the root level (Avid MediaFiles folder).
7. Import exported AAF into project

The user manual has pretty good explanations of both these methods - look up sequence consolidation and AAF export options.

Michael

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Jan 9, 2015 at 7:57:32 pm

[Michael Phillips] "1. Put sequence into its own bin (just to make management easier)
2. Highlight sequence and select "consolidate" from clip menu
3. Select your external drive and any handles you might want to add this method will move what is in the sequence plus handles.
4. Click OK
5. Your bin will now have a new consolidated sequence as well as a lot of .new clips.
6. Open this bin in the same project on another system with the target drive attached.
"

I did this and ended up with an OMFI MediaFiles folder only on my drive.....

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:51:25 pm

You need to find the bin in the project and copy that across to the drive too (the MediaFiles folder is where the media is, although it's been a while since I've seen an OMFI version)

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Jan 18, 2015 at 1:21:17 am

Great it worked with copying the bin

Thx!

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 10, 2015 at 5:37:28 pm

Are you in an SD or HD project? If SD, what are your media creations set to? After you do the consolidate, right click one of the .new clips and select "reveal file". What is its folder path, OMFI or MXF?

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]