FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going forward with Mac & Media Composer v8.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Cue
Going forward with Mac & Media Composer v8.3
on Dec 29, 2014 at 5:20:26 pm

I see most of the older Mac Pro CPUs are not on the newest Media Composer qualified machine list. You think this means they absolutely won't run v8.3 or that they just dropped off because of age? And if I'm not mistaken, the 5K iMac isn't on there either...but it seems like it should work, considering every other iMac is on the list. I'm bringing this up because I have a dual-quad core Nehalem Mac Pro that's long in the tooth and I'm trying to decide when to replace it and which direction to go. The other factor to take into account are all the warnings about not upgrading to Yosemite with MC 8.3 because of all the "known performance issues". Anyone having any insight on this stuff...input is greatly appreciated.

Jeff C.


Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Going forward with Mac & Media Composer v8.3
on Dec 29, 2014 at 7:30:28 pm

I suspect a lot of the testing was done for 2K/4K and the requirement for systems most likely has changed. I am using an old Z800 and a 2011 MacBookPro with 8.3 but I certainly keep my performance expectations in check.

I think the 5K Mac is still in the testing phase, but if I remember correctly, had something to do with the graphics card. I reluctantly moved to Yosemite because of changes to "preview" and QuickTime, but so far I've been OK.

You will need to decide to get on the $299 support by end if year if you haven't already, but it does not mean to have to install anything until ready.


Michael


Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Going forward with Mac & Media Composer v8.3
on Dec 29, 2014 at 7:31:57 pm

Also, expectation in background tasks of transcode and render require more updated systems.

Michael


Return to posts index


Jeff Cue
Re: Going forward with Mac & Media Composer v8.3
on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:59:23 am

Hi Michael - Thanks for the reply. I'm already signed up with Avid for the next year, so I'm committed...which is part of why I'm trying to figure out a way forward on both hardware and software. My Early 2009 Mac Pro is running OK at the moment, but I can tell with every MC update that the CPU is falling a little more behind, performance-wise. Not really doing anything connected to 2/4K at the moment, but I know it's probably going to come into play in the next year. Was hoping that new 5K iMac was approved, as it seems like a good compromise between what I've got and going full trashcan Mac. Have run Avid on an HP Z series before...if I went back to PC, that would be the only way. Wish Avid and Apple would talk to each other...seems like the end users are getting caught more and more in the update incompatibility web...

Jeff C.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]