FORUMS: list search recent posts

XAVC-L into Avid MC 6.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Nelson
XAVC-L into Avid MC 6.5
on Dec 21, 2014 at 6:32:13 pm

Just started shooting with the Sony FS7. Nice camera, shoots in plenty of different formats. Problem is, I cannot import XAVC Long into my Avid using AMA. It can AMA link to XAVC-I, but those are higher bitrates and I want to also be able to work in a format that supports longer run times. I also shoot on a PMW-300, which I can use Content Browser to transcode the clips into an Avid-friendly DNxHD codec and import those (it's pretty much the same codec, but XDCAM). Does anyone have a recommended workflow for XAVC-L into Avid? Right now I bring it into Premiere and export at DNxHD, but it's a pain and may be a bit lossless.

-Tom Nelson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XAVC-L into Avid MC 6.5
on Dec 21, 2014 at 8:38:08 pm

Well, either that or RESOLVE. EditReady from divergentmedia.com might work...not sure. But you'll have to convert it outside of Avid MC 6.5, for sure.

If you want to do an offline/online workflow...best to use Resolve...or whatever system you are using to finish. So you can export an EDL or AAF, and then have it relink to the originals and make higher data rate versions.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 22, 2014 at 2:35:45 pm

You might want to look into using one of the Sony Catalyst products to transcode. These have replaced Content Browser. There's a free and a paid version at Sony Creative Software's site.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:42:29 pm

Thanks, all. I honestly didn't know Catalyst even existed. Going to try the free version, and maybe trial the paid version. Wish me luck.

-Tom

Tom Nelson
Cinematograper/Editor

Return to posts index

chris king
on Feb 2, 2015 at 9:27:06 am

There is no doubt that the XAVC codec options with Sony PXW-FS7 are great. You can choose between I frame for easy editing or long GoP which gives a smaller file size but needs more processing power to decode. Whereas, the point is, Avid Media Composer still can't deal XAVC files, especially the XAVC-L as you mentioned. A workaround I've figured out is to change XAVC clips from Sony PXW-FS7 to Avid Media Composer fully compatible format- DNxHD with a professional XAVC file conversion app, which can keep the original video quality as possible as it can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]