FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stolen iMac - Avid Project folder gone but have all other files on RAID. Now what?!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Scott
Stolen iMac - Avid Project folder gone but have all other files on RAID. Now what?!
on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:42:38 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Scott on Dec 19, 2014 at 11:06:15 pm

My office got broken into last night and it was a smash and grab. They got my 27 in iMac. My raid drives were not touched (thank goodness). Lots of lessons learned here, but how to I manage to get all of my projects back in order? The avid project folder is on the stolen iMac. Is there way to recreate all that data back into the system without that folder?

Much appreciated!

Daniel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Stolen iMac - Avid Project folder gone but have all other files on RAID. Now what?!
on Dec 19, 2014 at 11:25:27 pm

Bummer deal! So sorry...asshats.

Well, it depends. Did you back up your project file anywhere? Is the Avid Attic set up to save to that RAID? The attic defaults to the internal system drive.

Unless you have a backup of the project, or an Attic with the bins backed up, no, there's no way to rebuild the cut...or the project and organization for that matter. You can get the media into a new project, but you'll have to organize everything from scratch.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Scott
Re: Stolen iMac - Avid Project folder gone but have all other files on RAID. Now what?!
on Dec 19, 2014 at 11:52:47 pm

That is what I was afraid of. My only hope is for the police to find my computer. I appreciate your reply. Do you know of any software that helps organize these files?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2014 at 12:56:57 am

[Daniel Scott] "Do you know of any software that helps organize these files?"

Yeah...the Avid software does...in the project file. That's what the project file is for...tracking and organizing all that footage, and storing your cut.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:31:29 am

Without the project or the Avid attic all your choices on using that media are gone.
You cab drag the .mdb database files from each numbered mxf folder into bins to recreate the clips but that just gives you the Raw media.
Drop box is a good idea but be aware that if they power up the stolen imac they can empty the drop box!
We advise daily backup of the project to the media drive and walk away wirh it on a USB stick.
Also you will need to contact avid support to deactivate the license.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Alain Dessauvage
on Dec 20, 2014 at 12:11:43 am

I keep my projects in my Drop Box sync folder. That way there's always a Back-up available.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0220918/

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 20, 2014 at 8:36:13 pm

Plus 1 on the drop box.

I have my projects on drop box, and my archive solution automatically backsup my drop box folder to a different drive each night.

Yes, they could steal your computer, launch it and delete everything from your drop box...but they could also mug you on the way out the door and steal your usb stick.

Nothing is perfect.

Odds are searching for a drop box folder would be low on the list of priorities. Would certainly give you time to access it from another computer and either download the contents, or change the password.

By the way...you have changed all your passwords correct?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Daniel Scott
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:19:45 pm

Great call on all of these things! Thank you all. I have changed most of the passwords. My computer was also password protected to get in, so I doubt they are able to see anything. Who knows know.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:55:51 pm

[Daniel Scott] "Great call on all of these things! Thank you all. I have changed most of the passwords. My computer was also password protected to get in, so I doubt they are able to see anything. Who knows know."

I would assume they have access to everything stored on your computer as it's pretty easy to bypass the log in password (booting the machine into Target Disk Mode being the easiest).

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 21, 2014 at 4:56:50 pm

Macs are pretty easy to change the password on.

Boot in, create a new user with admin rights, then you can change the settings for any other user. (remove all passwords)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kevin Johnson
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:31:49 pm

In theory if they deleted the dropbox folder, you could recover the files from dropbox.com for up to 30 days. If they had access to the web interface they could really do some damage.

Kevin Johnson

Autodesk Smoke Artist
FCP Editor
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]