FORUMS: list search recent posts

Waveform Monitors; Video Scopes; Choices

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Ryan
Waveform Monitors; Video Scopes; Choices
on Dec 11, 2014 at 5:47:54 am

Curious to know what Online/Finishing Editors and Colorists are using for their scopes and what they like & dislike about them. So please, tell me what you're using and are the likes & dislikes of those units.
For the record, I have a Harris VTM Series in my main suite. It's a 1rack unit computer connected (in my case) to a 19" VGA screen. The VTM output is split into 4 displays chosen from up to 9 options (depending what options are available in the unit) so you can set it up to see everything you want at one time. And you can store 16 different display setups. One big plus with this unit is that by pressing the FULL button, the current active display (of the 4) fills the screen. I love this because, even on my smallish 19" 4x3 monitor, the RGB Parade, which I've set to YRGB, creates an image where 0-100% measures 7" or 18cms. This is really great during grading when you want to adjust RGB values to get true blacks and whites. Also, when levels are out of spec, it's easy to see exactly where it is out. (And this is one of the things I don't like about Blackmagic scopes in my second suite - that you can't get a large display.)
One thing I don't like about the Harris is in the error reporting. Firstly, you can't load in presets or standards (such as EBU-R103 2000) Plus, it's hard to manually input standards as the Harris has different ways of measuring some things, such as Sensitivity measures 0-20 CES rather than percentages.
In short, I find this unit great for Color Grading but less so for Outputting.

- - - - - - - - -
Neil Ryan
Senior Finishing Editor
WTFN

- - - - - - - - -

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Waveform Monitors; Video Scopes; Choices
on Dec 13, 2014 at 3:01:59 am

i have always liked tektronix scopes. I like Resolve for color grading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]