FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone think of a better way to do this..?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Anyone think of a better way to do this..?
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:50:10 pm

Hello,

I've got my picture locked sequence, with my sync video and sound on V1, A1 & A2. However the dubbing mixer wants me to put back all associated audio for all my cutaways as well (even though I've included room tone / wildtrack already). So now I find myself in the tedious position of having to match frame and paste the audio for every cutaway in a 47 minutes sequence.

Here's my system, can anyone suggest any way to speed this up, even by a few keystrokes...

Arm V2
"T" to mark clip on V2
"match frame" first frame of clip
Disarm V2
Arm A3 & A4
"overwrite" audio onto A3 & A4

This might seem trivial but there are many hundreds of clips to do this for so any advice would be appreciated. Back on FCP7 when you "match frame" it retains the in and out point of the timeline segment, so to do this I would literally just have to match frame, then overwrite and it would give me the correct duraiton of audio segment. Any way to replicate this in MC?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Anyone think of a better way to do this..?
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:43:56 pm

Nope...that's what you have to do. Often assistant editors on shows I work on are tasked with doing this, as many editors don't include b-roll audio in their cuts. Gotta include that audio.

And this is why it's always best to add in this audio while you are editing. ALWAYS include the audio...and drop the levels down so that they are distracting, but you still need to hear it. It's very odd to see a car drive by, but not hear it. See industrial equipment working, but not hear it. See people talking, but not hear them, even low. See an airplane land, but not hear it. When we have b-roll that comes in without audio, we need to add audio...foley the shot...so it doesn't seem out of place.

But yeah...that's what you do. park on the clip, press T to mark IN and OUT. Match frame, disable the video track, enable the audio tracks. cut the audio in.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:57:39 pm
Last Edited By Christopher Travis on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:00:43 pm

Thanks Shane,

I guess I'll just have do it the long way.

I see your point about always including the audio, and when the audio from the cutaways is useable I will include it, it's just that often you've got the presenter/contributors mics on the audio, or if they're proper cutaways, often the presenter mic is out of range and so there's just a load of radio distortion on the track, so it's useless for wild track. That's why I go through my cuts and add looped wild track to fill the dead air.

Seems like a hassle including all this junk audio in my timeline when I'm cutting. I can't be bothered to be breaking out the audio mixer and zeroing clips that have mic audio on them everytime I paste a cutaway into the timeline, seems like that would ruin my flow. But then is it worse than spending an hour pressing =,-,7,t,F2,esc,7,-,=,b over and over again? Not sure...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:33:19 pm

Yup, we include all the audio from all the mics on the reality shows I cut. and I zero out all the unused mics. Because in the mix, they need all the mics, in case there's interference on one or better audio on another, or the editor pots up the wrong mic.

When we don't do this, our poor assistant has to go back and do what you are doing right now. And that eats into our online time. Makes the post super grumpy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Dec 10, 2014 at 9:46:09 pm

Fair enough Shane, that all makes sense.

Guess I need to get used to cutting with a busier timeline.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Dec 10, 2014 at 11:03:57 pm

I've done it using macros before. Ahk on windows and butler (or karibiner has been recommended) on osx

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Dec 11, 2014 at 5:58:42 am

I'm not in a position to try this now, but I'd thought I'd mention it as it may get your or another reader's brain going...
I wonder (because I thought I'd done something similar years ago) if you could do something like:
Copy your Sequence.
Simplify the vision to cuts only, no graphics etc, one video layer, no audio.
Export EDL.
Modify (with text program) the EDL to change V to A or AA - so it's an audio only EDL.
Bring the EDL back into Media Composer (I think through EDL Manager?)
Modify those master clips, as necessary, Relink
Cut that Audio only Sequence into yours and work from there, deleting excess segments, extending others etc.
Just wondering...
Neil.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 11, 2014 at 3:15:35 pm

I have a G13 programed for this exact purpose.

I usually cut without ambience, and then spend 5 mins putting it in once the cut is locked, so I had to streamline my workflow.

I have a macro programmed into the G13 that takes my position on the timeline, turns off all tracks, turns on V1, marks in to out, goes to in, match frames clip, selects the record side again, turns off all tracks, turns on Audio 1 and 2, selects the source side, turns off all tracks, turns on Audio 1 and 1, performs an edit. I have another that is set to write to Audio 3 and 4.

All this happens in the push of a button. I can basically sit with one hand on my mouse, and one on the G13 and go Click, Click down the timeline...pretty much as fast as I can move the blue bar.

Was well worth the 50 bucks or so I paid for the G13. Of course I use it for other things as well. Don't know that I could run resolve without it either.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Dec 11, 2014 at 3:20:33 pm

Sounds pretty sweet Glenn, I've been hearing a bit about these G13s, maybe I'll take a look.

Thanks also to Neil for your suggestion. I've gone and done it the laborious way now but I'll look into macros when I get a chance and see if I can avoid having to it this way again in future.

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Dec 12, 2014 at 11:38:13 pm

[Christopher Travis] " I've gone and done it the laborious way now but I'll look into macros when I get a chance and see if I can avoid having to it this way again in future."

Personally I think you have the wrong approach. For many, editing is not a mechanical process that should be sped up at every point, but a creative, felt, organic, creative process that requires many different thought and felt processes, a large part of which are the sounds that come with the origonal shots. Losing the audio of the rushes means not listening to them, not listening to what the whole of the given material can contribute to your final product.
What I'm saying is: cut your film with all the material you have at your disposal. If it doesn't contribute, then get rid of it at the end, not the beginning of the process.
That, to me, is the better way!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:43:31 pm

What I usually do is duplicate my sequence, strip the audio tracks, then create a macro that makes an audio cut for every picture cut. I call it "Audio-follows-Video". I AAF that along with the actual cut. It gives the dialogue editors sync sound to every frame of the sequence, even if it has been replaced by another take. It allows them to steal sighs, sniffs and what not.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 15, 2014 at 5:02:33 am

[Job ter Burg] "What I usually do is duplicate my sequence, strip the audio tracks, then create a macro that makes an audio cut for every picture cut. I call it "Audio-follows-Video". I AAF that along with the actual cut. It gives the dialogue editors sync sound to every frame of the sequence, even if it has been replaced by another take. It allows them to steal sighs, sniffs and what not.
"

This is actually a beautiful solution. Lets you cut the way you want and gives your sound editor everything he could ever need.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:36:56 pm

Interesting Job. I'm assuming your macro includes a "next edit" and a "repeat" function?

Basically the same as my G13 macro. I wonder if the G13 has a repeat function.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:40:01 pm

As I look at it...I guess that would be the "repeat options" switch.

:)

Glenn

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Dec 13, 2014 at 3:06:32 am

if adding nats to every broll shot, you will indeed have to matchframe each one. Shouldnt take too long as you'll just hit in/out, match on the first frame then just lay nats on A3
if ya give him an omf, he'll have handles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]