FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing all clips in a sequence with better resolution clips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Khosid
Replacing all clips in a sequence with better resolution clips
on Dec 10, 2014 at 10:12:36 am

Hi everybody,

I work on a project that contains a lecture that cut to 20 different pieces, a sequence for each peace.

My workflow:

I brought all the footage to the project via AMA.

Transcode to DNxHD 36.

Cut all of the sequences and they are ready.

If I had only one sequence so I would just hide the Avid MediaFiles that contains the DNxHD36 media, Relink (and get a sequence with AMA original footage), Transcode to DNxHD120 and export.

---BUT---

I already have an Avid MediaFiles folder with DNxHD120 Media (another editor made it) so I actually already have the media I need and don't need to do the transcode process.

So my question is: How can I make ALL my sequences to be DNxHD120 (using the media I already have)?

Something that may be important: Some of the clips have the same name, so the DNxHD36 transcodes got new.01 and new.02 endings and the DNxHD120 transcodes got new.02 and new.03 endings.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Replacing all clips in a sequence with better resolution clips
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:01:41 pm

The metadata in the "Name"column has no real bearing on a relink process and could be named the 50 states all it cares. The columns of interest will be Tape, Source File, and Video Format (I think that's the name).

For you to do a relink in this scenario, highlight the sequence, then in the relink dialog box at the bottom, there are several selections for relinking by resolution, either specific or highest, etc. When doing this type of relink, I like to color code my target clips to the same color, or be sure to add resolution to the clip info in the timeline to ensure it linked. Sometimes it is hard to tell visually.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:02:02 pm

Are the High res clips in proper Avid mediaFiles folders structures yet, or just available to use when you are ready for them?

If you hide the low res ama clips...did you keep things organized in your folder structure?, Avid should auto link to the higher resolution clips...assuming they are in a proper folder structure with a database.

If that doesn't work for some reason, you can try to relink, and tell avid to use only the highest resolution clips.

If that doesn't work, put the high res clips in their own folder, get a database built for them, drag that database to a new bin.
Select all clips in that bin, right click on your sequence, and relink to all selected clips in open bins.

You might have to play with some of the options for which column to use, but it should work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:02:53 pm

Michael types faster than me !

Glenn

Return to posts index

Alex Khosid
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:36:09 pm

Thank you guys.

I did what you say and it helped alot. All the DnxHD120 media is in a proper directory so I opened a bin with this media and made Relink using "Use items in all open bins". All seemed to relink to the DNxHD120 as I wanted.

--BUT---

Now I looked more deeply on the sequence and I see a VERY strange thing. Some of the clips are now DNxHD120 as I wanted but some are linked to AMA for some reason. You maybe know why did this happen?

What even more strange, is that sometimes the parts of the SAME clip are in DNxHD120 and other parts are AMA (See the screenshot).

I tried to hide the folder with the original footage so the avid will not find in in order to AMA to it, but what happen is that I get Media Offline spaces instead of what now is AMAed.

I also noticed something that may somehow be the problem:

When I hide the original footage I see that some of the AMAs direct to another hard drive we worked on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]