FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Extract Editing

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Quick Extract Editing
on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:43:58 am

Hi,

I have been a FCP user for years, and am finally making the change to Avid and Premiere.

If I have a timeline of broll clips, and I am cutting them down, is there a quick way to extract from an in point to the next edit or clip to the right?

To me setting an in point in a clip, and then going to the end of the clip, backing up one frame, and setting an out point to extract what I don't want is time consuming and not very fluid. Just wanted to know if something is possible.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Quick Extract Editing
on Dec 8, 2014 at 5:02:18 am

Go into the Settings, double click on COMPOSER settings... and then the FF/REW tab...and select TAIL FRAMES.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 8, 2014 at 12:40:52 pm

Two other options.

1. Move your playhead to where you want to mark your In point, but before you mark the In point hit T to Mark Clip. This marks an In and Out point at the head and tail of the clip. Now hit I (or E) to mark your In point. You've now selected from the In point to the end of the clip. Hit X to extract, removing the marked portion and closing the gap between clips. One you get the hang of this you can execute all these commands in less than a second.

2. My favorite option: Top and Tail. Look them up in the control panel and add them to your keyboard. This does exactly what you want to do, in one keystroke. Move your playhead to where you would mark your In Point and hit Tails and it will extract from your playhead to the end of your clip. If you hit Top it will extract from the playhead to the beginning of the clip.

See point 1 of Scott Simmons post for more about Tops/Tails:

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/some_avid_tools_you_might_not_u...

NOTE: Both of these commands behave according to your track selections. So if you're just wanting to do this to clips on V2, don't have V1 selected. Mark Clip and Tops/Tails actually look for the nearest common edit point of all selected tracks. So if you have V1 and V2 selected it will look for the nearest point where V1 and V2 have an edit happening at exactly the same time. Play around to get familiar with it and keep an eye on which tracks you have active if it's not behaving like you expect it to.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Dec 8, 2014 at 8:39:34 pm

Seconding "top" and "tail". Since learning avid I miss these in FCP7.

I have "top" set to shift-z and "tai"l to shift-x. Indispensable when whittling down b-roll or interview sync.

As mentioned above, watch out for track selection as it will seek the next edit point on any selected track.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]