FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converted AVCHD using ACROK Mts Converter then edited on AVID and then...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Lydia
Converted AVCHD using ACROK Mts Converter then edited on AVID and then...
on Dec 7, 2014 at 6:50:47 pm

Hi everyone, so here's what I'm trying to figure out.
Got some AVCHD footage to edit. Converted the footage into .mov (h.264 compression) on ACROK Converter. Once it was converted I edited it by linking to AMA on Avid 8.1.0.
I finished editing and made a few exports (using the converted quicktime material as a source). But compression after conversion and so on, gives a medium quality.. Even the 1:1 export which is several gigabytes in size is pretty noisy compared to the original footage.
So my question is, is there a way i can relink to the original footage?
I've tried to bring everything offline and relink the files in the bin to the .mts files rathen than the .mov of the same name, but Avid wont give me an option to open the ACVHD (in order to reveal the .mts files inside) when asking to relink...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converted AVCHD using ACROK Mts Converter then edited on AVID and then...
on Dec 7, 2014 at 7:33:53 pm

YOu can't link to the original .MTS files because you didn't link to them to begin with. You AMA Linked to the QT files, so that's where Avid looks. I'll wager any metadata that Avid might refer to was lost when you converted to QT using that software...so timecode won't match, and that's one big thing Avid needs.

But your workflow is full of all sorts of wrong. First off, you should have tried to AMA link to the AVCHD files directly. Converting to H.264 basically adds more high compression on already highly compressed material. AVCHD is an H.264 variant..so converting from H.264 to H.264 just recompressed the footage, and most likely not in a good way.

Avid does have AVCHD support. Just need to load the AMA plugins. So you could have AMA linked directly to the AVCHD files. If that doesn't work (Not all AVCHD formats are supported) there's a better MTS converter out there that will convert AVCHD to DNxHD Quicktimes...ClipWrap2 (divergentmedia.com) COnvert to DNxHD, then consolidate...done.

That's another thing you did wrong...just AMA linking to the H.264 files. Avid doesn't work with with footage linked via AMA. AMA....Avid Media Access...is just that...ACCESS. It allows Avid to access the footage. From there, you need to transcode to an editing format. Yes, you can do some work with the footage natively, but that isn't without issues...countless issues. Avid Marketing did say "Look what you can do! Access media natively and begin editing!" But Avid marketing and reality aren't always the same thing. Experience shows that AMA linking and editing isn't stable. Always transcode.

Sorry, but I don't know what can be done to save your edit. You've wandered down too many wrong paths. Might be best to import the footage properly, then "over-cut" your current cut. Meaning match the footage by eye and recut your sequence. I've had to do this before...you aren't the first person to paint themselves into a corner.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonathan Lydia
Re: Converted AVCHD using ACROK Mts Converter then edited on AVID and then...
on Dec 7, 2014 at 8:15:21 pm

Thanks so much Shane!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]