FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid automatically retiming my clip, and green dot issues

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eve Ramsden
Avid automatically retiming my clip, and green dot issues
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:42:06 am

Hi,

I am working with some 96 and 100 fps footage in a 24p project. Most of the footage was shot at 24fps of course.

The workflow is that I AMA link to the ProRes 422 originals (1920x1080), and transcode to DNxHD 36, keeping the aspect ratio and frame rate the same.

I am trying to sync the 96 and 100fps footage. The editor has asked me to put these clips into a sequence and retime them using the timewarp effect. I tried to do so, but found that each clip has a green dot on it, and the timewarp effect "doesn't apply".

It is strange to me, because it seems the project framerate matches the clip framerate (24p), and I believe both are progressive.

Is Avid automatically retiming the clip, and if so, how can I stop it doing this, and apply my own retiming?

thanks!

09PSR

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: Avid automatically retiming my clip, and green dot issues
on Nov 19, 2014 at 11:25:57 am

Park on the clip and open the motion effect editor, you should see a button called 'promote' you have to select it to open the timing options.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:21:44 pm

Thanks James. I tried this but all the buttons in the motion effects editor are greyed out.

09PSR

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:17:28 pm

Don't open the EFFECT EDITOR...park on the clip, go to the TOOLS menu and choose MOTION EFFECT EDITOR. There is where you'll see PROMOTE.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:18:10 am

Hi Shane, thanks for your post. I'm a little confused. James's post said to open the motion effect editor, and my response also made reference to the motion effect editor. Neither of us mentioned the effect editor. there isn't anything which says "promote" in the motion effect editor, and all the buttons are greyed out. I'm using media composer v.8.

09PSR

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:31:24 am

Is your playhead parked on the clip? The motion effect controls only become active whilst the playhead in on the clip, so you can select a clip on the timeline but if your playhead is over slug (or a clip that doesn't have a motion effect applied to it) the motion effect controls will be inactive.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:44:28 am

Yep. So I apply timewarp, park playhead on clip, open motion effect editor and get the speed graphs, but no promote button.

09PSR

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Nov 20, 2014 at 9:56:23 am
Last Edited By James Patterson on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:07:56 am

If you have the green dot you don't apply a timewarp, you just open the motion effect editor whilst parked on the clip.

It should look like this.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:29:15 am

No- when I park on the clip, no timewarp effect applied, and open motion effect editor I get this:

(I'm not sure if the attachment is going to work)

09PSR

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:30:50 am

No- when I park on the clip, no timewarp effect applied, and open motion effect editor I get this:

09PSR

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:35:15 am

Ah ok, it's a lot simpler than I thought. Add the timewarp effect, park on the clip then click the button in the top left that has the shows the man running., this will open up the speed change parameters.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:41:16 am

Hi Paddy,

Thanks so much for persevering with this. So I don't open up the motion effect editor? I just apply the effect to the clip, then look for the button with running man. could you send a screen grab of that button?

thanks again

Stella

09PSR

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:49:46 am

No worries, yoes you still open the motion effect editor.

There are two buttons in the top left corner of the motion effect editor, the left button (the man running) controls speed and the one on the right controls position.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]