FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrating IMAC display for Grading on Avid and Davinci

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian McKenna
Calibrating IMAC display for Grading on Avid and Davinci
on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:35:41 pm

Hi there,

Just looking for a bit of guidance. I have an iMac 27 - late 2011.

Im wondering whether i should calibrate the displays colour settings. Currently its set on the iMac Setting. I see all these other profiles and i am just wondering whether i should have a separate on for grading - primarily in AVID MC 8.2 but also in Davinci.

I was looking at the HD 709- A as a possible format.

But yeah.

Any advice at all would be brilliant.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Calibrating IMAC display for Grading on Avid and Davinci
on Nov 18, 2014 at 4:28:44 pm

Don't use your computer monitor to judge picture quality and color. It isn't designed for it. The Avid interface...Preview and Program monitors...aren't color accurate at all. Not meant to be.

No, for proper color correction and grading, you need an IO device...BlackMagic device since you plan on using Resolve...and an external HDTV, or broadcast quality monitor...depending on budget and destination of your programs. HDTV is cheaper, and can be balanced decently well, but a broadcast monitor would be the best bet, most accurate. But designed for those in broadcast film and TV with budgets that can afford them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Cue
on Nov 18, 2014 at 4:48:59 pm

Hey Shane - Besides Blackmagic, do you have any personal recommends for an I/O box? I've had pretty good luck with my Matrox MX02 Mini over the past 4 years until recently, when Avid/Apple/Matrox got out of whack on their software updates...now I can't watch anything externally without putting my MC into low rez mode to combat the audio sync & Max Headroom glitch issues...

Jeff C.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2014 at 4:54:10 pm

[Jeff Cue] "Hey Shane - Besides Blackmagic, do you have any personal recommends for an I/O box?"

I own and love the AJA IoXT. But the Io4K might be a better buy. AJA has always been solid. BUT, if you want to use Resolve, you have to use Blackmagic products. Resolve doesn't work with any other cards.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]