FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for an effect

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Cervinsky
Looking for an effect
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:44:29 pm

I want to create an effect in Avid MC 8 that will allow 4 or 5 videos to be masked into horizontal bars, every other one will crawl in from either the left or right and then rest in the center, filling the screen. Once there I want to be able to individually expand the mask of one video source to fill the screen, then collapse back down and then have a different video expand, and so on. I have tried a few effects but can never get the entire thing to work. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that might help me? I've watched a lot of Kevin's but didn't see the effect I was looking for.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Looking for an effect
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:57:40 pm

Attempting to do this in Avid Media Composer will cause you to scream and go insane. I have issues just layering 4 images that don't move.

Avid isn't compositing software...it can do some things, but I wouldn't use it for this. After Effects or Motion is best suited for this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:28:09 pm

Patience will be needed, but you can do all of it with 3D Warp from the Blend tools.
Sliding in with the horizontal position control, having cropped the image to the correct size, then losing the cropping.
On which layer you put which image, when you move a clip to a different layer will take planning, but is all do-able

Return to posts index

Timothy Cervinsky
on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:47:03 pm

Yep, that is the one I'm thinking of. It is tedious and makes me go insane, but it does get the job done.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 15, 2014 at 5:53:42 pm

This is probably one of the few composites Avid can do.

With the exception of the crops animating, this is pretty straight forward.

For things like this, no matter where you build them, build it backwards.

put your 4 clips on your 4 video tracks
add a pic n pic to each clip (from the blend tab)
make each pic in pic 100 width and height.
Now you'll have to fiddle with the cropping to decide how much to crop each picture. Turn off all video tracks but the lowest one, and leave its bottom crop at 0, and adjust the top crop to how wide you want the pieces to be. Then turn on so you can see the lowest 2 video tracks. Adjust the bottom crop upwards until you can see it coming in above the lower track. Then adjust the upper crop to make this frame as wide as track 1. Continue with the next two tracks.

When you reach the top track, its crop will be the reverse of the lower track.

Then mark keyframes at each track about halfway down your timeline to give yourself a lock of what these positions should be. Next you can build the slide on. That's a simple position either left or right. Go back 10 or 15 frames from your lock keyframe, and set another keyframe on each track. Then slide each track off to the side to lock in its new starting position. You may want to stagger these keyframes so each picture slides in at a slightly different time. Hold the alt key and drag your keyframes back and forth until you are happy with the timing. The space between each keyframe should be the same for each clip, so they all slide at the same speed.

Next you can animate the crop opening up. This is where you are going to have to decide what order these crops open up, as you are going to have to razor and rearrange the order of the timeline, so that each time you have a crop open up, that clip gets put on the uppermost track. As far a I know, you can't animate the order of the tracks in Media Composer, and the crop change will only overtake clips that are under it on the timeline. If you open up the top crop on layer 3, layer 4 is still going to be covering it.

razoring the clips after your lock keyframe should keep the rest of that clip in the final position. Then decide which clip is to open first, place it on the uppermost track, and animate its crop to open. When its time to open the next clip, animate the first clips crop back to loked position and razor the clips again. Repeat the process for the next clip to open.

Obviously there will be some trial and error with timing and such, but it is certainly doable with in MC.

As for other compositing apps, you would probably come up against the same issue for the crops needing to be on top. I know Avid DS lets you animate the order of the layers, but I'm not sure that after effects does. (someone else can chime in on that one.)

Really, the procedure would be the same for everything else, no matter what program you use. Some might give you more elegance in the programing of the moves, but the technique would essentially be the same.

Wow, didn't plan on that being such a long post:)

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]