FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid install & set-up

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Avid install & set-up
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:56:13 pm
Last Edited By Tom Laughlin on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:02:10 pm

Hello, to a new forum, I've been hanging out a ton in the FCP and Premiere world, and am slowly moving myself into Avid editing again. A year ago or so ago, with my work as an adjunct media teacher at Utah Valley University, I purchased Avid V6 (it's the "edu-faculty-version", with the 4-years of free upgrades) and installed it, and removed it after not having time to learn Avid and was not using it much.

I want to re-install it, and start learning it again. Being that it's Avid v6, now Avid has a subscription model, how does this work? Do I install it, and update it? Is there any difference in how install older versions now?

One more thing while I'm here. One of my hugest problems initially with learning Avid was not the learning curve with the tools and set-up, it was the fact that you cannot edit with having multiple time-lines open, or 'tabbed' sequences, as I like to use a sequence to throw shots into, or be able to tab in between sequences, if I client wants to see 4-5 rough cuts, and you could do this in Premiere and FCP. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid install & set-up
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:21:49 pm

You can certainly install it as it and keep working with it. to whom is it registered? If it is your license, and you registered it, you will have access to the upgrades from your account.

There is still no TAB sequence type interface. You can do one of the following depending on your needs (review for example):

1. Drag and drop a sequence into the source monitor.
2. option/ALT double click sequence to its own pop-up monitor. You can have as many of those you want and put then where you want.

Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:29:27 pm

Michael, thanks for the follow-up. Yes, I purchased this copy of Avid, so it's my own copy. When I orginally installed it, it walked me through an install, and registration setup, so, I guess my question would be, if I did re-install it, all the same set-up, will my license just run out as planned in 4 years, whether or not I'm under any subscription model? In other words, I'm thinking the subscription doesn't apply to those who own it on a student, or faculty, or edu-version basis, correct?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:37:22 pm

Your license shouldn't run out. You bought a copy...you own it. If it's an education copy, your path to upgrades ends...but the software will never stop working. And you aren't under any subscription model...that started with MC 8

[Tom Laughlin] "In other words, I'm thinking the subscription doesn't apply to those who own it on a student, or faculty, or edu-version basis, correct?
"

Correct.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marianna Montague
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:45:19 pm

Hi there Tom....

Michael asked me to jump in here....

If you purchased an Academic student license pre MC 8 then you would have received 4 years of free upgrades. After the 4 year mark, the license won't " run out" but it will remain at the version you have at that time. Avid will email you at the 60, 45 and 30 day marks prior to the 4 year lapse, to offer you the support/upgrade plan for $299/yr. This will convert the license to commercial so you can use it to make $ and provide support/upgrades for the year.

Net net - the support/upgrade plan for $299 only applies when your 4 year upgrade window is over. At that time you can:

1. Chose to buy the support/upgrade plan for $299/year and the academic license will also covert to commercial or....

2. Chose to migrate to a subscription model at $49.99 per month and this will also covert the license to
commercial or

3. do nothing and your academic license remains at the last version used prior to the 4 year end date. But legally you shouldn't be using an academic version for commercial purposes.

Hope this helps.
Marianna

Marianna Montague
marianna.montgue@avid.com
813-493-6800

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]