transferring AMA project onto external hard drive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eve Ramsden
transferring AMA project onto external hard drive
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:47:57 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a project in Avid.

I AMA linked to the original media, and transcoded within avid to DNxHD36. I have then been syncing the rushes within this project.

The editor has just told me they would like to start work immediately, before I have finished syncing all the rushes. It is therefore necessary to transfer everything I've done so far onto a drive the editor can work from, whilst keeping a copy of the project on my drive so I can transcode and sync the rest of the files. It's not the workflow I would have chosen, but it's how it is.

Is it possible for me just to transfer the project files and Avid media, without also having to move all the original media? I have tested this out and it seems that it is possible, but I'm not sure how this works vis a vis the AMA link? In my test run, the transcoded files reconnected fine, but the AMA files, which obviously didn't have the originals they were supposed to be connecting to, read "Media Offline". Would this cause problems down the line, or can the editor eventually simply reconnect the original media to the AMA files when it gets to that point?

Any advice greatly appreciated

09PSR

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: transferring AMA project onto external hard drive
on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:27:21 pm

Should be fine to do as you've tested. Just keep updating the editor with new avid media as it comes in. At this point it would be a good idea to"lock off" your media folder within the "Avid Media Files" folder (just rename the "1" folder to "141109" - today's date) then the new media that is created will be put into a new "1" folder by Avid.

This will allow you to track what you've given to the editor already.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:38:37 pm

Hey Michael,

thanks for your response. I have been renaming the Avid Media Files as per the transcoded batch for each shoot day- good to know that this will come in handy at this point.

So in your opinion, the fact that the duplicated version which the editor is cutting from, ie the version which does not have the original media on the hard drive, only the Avid Media Files, shouldn't be a problem?

09PSR

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:49:27 pm

No that should be fine. the offline editor shouldn't need the AMA sources until the offline sequence moves to online. At that stage they will need to relink the final offline sequence to the AMA sources and for that they will need to re-mount the AMA sources they need just for the final sequence.
In fact keeping the AMA sources linked in the offline project is using up additional RAM and potentially slowing the system down.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:51:31 pm

Hi Pat,

Thanks for this, that's a relief! And good point about the linked AMA clips slowing down performance- I wouldn't have thought of it, but now you mention it that seems obvious!

Stella

09PSR

Return to posts index

Ben Northenor
on Jul 10, 2015 at 9:59:50 pm

This is quite an old post, but I'm in a similar situation. I did all my syncing and grouping on my hard drive, but when I bring my .avb (with the grouped/synced media) over to my Editors hard drive, the media is there, but no audio. Any thoughts of why this is happening.

http://www.bennorthenor.com

Return to posts index

Hilary Crowe
on Jan 11, 2017 at 3:03:15 pm

Hi Pat, I'm in a similar situation as the original poster--this thread has been super helpful, esp. your answer here. I have a follow up question about AMA linked clips being offline:

My editor and I are working separately, from mirrored drives; we each have all the original camera media and all the same Avid project files on our drives. However, original footage was brought in via AMA using the editor's drive, so the AMA linked clips' sourcepath points to that drive, which I do not have mounted. As such, those same AMA linked clips on my drive are showing offline, the sourcepath pointing to the unmounted editor's drive. (My trancodes are all online.)

So my question is: Will changing the AMA linked clips' sourcepath to point to that same original footage, but on my drive, "break" or damage the existing transcoded clips' link/ref. path to the original footage? And/or what does relinking AMAs to my drive then mean for when we want to relink the transcodes to online the project?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 11, 2017 at 4:19:06 pm

Keep a copy of the original AMA clips bins just in case but in answer to your question. No if you create a new bin and re AMA link those source clips all the original clips should just link.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]