FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to After Effects Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Avid to After Effects Workflow
on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:59:47 pm

I would like to pan and zoom in on stills that I have placed on my Avid timeline in relation to my audio
I'd like to use After Effects to pan and zoom.
How do I do that?
I can export an AAF and successfully bring video and audio into After Effects except the still does not transfer over. It appears as black in After Effects (it is in my Avid timeline via Avid Pan and Zoom which is pointing to the file).
THANKS!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Avid to After Effects Workflow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:11:55 am

Simple answer. It won't work. Import the stills, don't use Avid Pan and Zoom. Don't worry about the quality.
Replace the stills with the full res file in After Effects.

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:32:51 pm

I agree, presumably you want to use After Effects in order to retain quality when you zoom in - which you won't do if you use the media that Avid created when you imported into Avid.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:22:43 pm
Last Edited By John Hill on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:23:47 pm

Thanks, John and Michael!
Just trying to figure out the simplest round trip workflow from avid to after effects. I understand how to bring an aaf into after effects but am confused as to how to export a mxf file. Where do I export the mxf to? The desktop and then quit avid and put it into my project's media files folder? And then start Avid again and look for it with Media tool? There doesn't seem to be a lot of instruction on how to do it.

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:35:31 pm

I tried quitting Avid and putting the mxf file into the avid media files folder but Avid didn't like that. So I'm guessing that you leave the mxf in a folder and then ama link to it...without ever putting it into the avid media files folder...unless you transcode it later...
Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Nov 10, 2014 at 12:20:55 am

As a vfx editor I do this workflow a lot. I export a QuickTime from avid as same as source, in the case of the feature I'm on now, I export dnxhd 36. I import that into aftereffects, and comp whatever I need to comp. Then export in same codec and import into avid. Avid will fast import (essentially rewrap as mxf) because it is in avid dnxhd 36. In your case, I'd do as we suggested and import the original still into after effects, do the comp and export a QuickTime in whatever flavour of dnxhd your project is in.

Good luck!

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]