FORUMS: list search recent posts

how much drive space is necessary for feature edit

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eve Ramsden
how much drive space is necessary for feature edit
on Nov 3, 2014 at 9:04:47 am

Hi All

I'm about to start syncing rushes for a feature. The drive I've been given has a 6TB capacity, and with all the rushes, about 500GB is left free.

Has anyone worked on a similar sized project before, and could you advise me as to whether you think this drive is big enough to edit from? I'm transcoding the footage to DNxHD 36. I haven't worked in Avid much before, and don't know how much space things like render files take up. I read somewhere that working with less than 15% free drive space means performance starts to degrade- so 500GB would give me 12% free drive space. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

09PSR

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: how much drive space is necessary for feature edit
on Nov 3, 2014 at 12:45:03 pm

Are you using AMA and then transcoding?

Whichever workflow you are going to use test it end to end.

It's pretty easy to calculate how much space the DNxHD36 will take up: as it's 36Mbit per second (4.5MB). So figure out how many seconds or minutes (270MB per minute) and you'll have a rough estimate of the video.

Personally, I'd transcode the whole lot in Resolve Lite and edit from a different drive. You'll want a good few hundred GB free for renders etc.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 3, 2014 at 12:58:34 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I've never used Da Vinci Lite before, and as there is a time pressure on this I don't want to start learning now.

Instead, I'll AMA link to the footage and transcode within Avid. It's a shame that I can't set up the project for the edit on a different drive, as you suggest, but I've actually managed to clear an extra 500GB space, leaving me 1TB for the edit, and by your calculation method, it seems that a DNxHD36 project should take up 27GB of space.

thanks again for your help.

09PSR

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Nov 3, 2014 at 1:04:37 pm

You mentioned you were transcoding to Avid DNxHD 36 in the avid? This would mean 270MB per minute for the rushes. Not the finished film. Hugely more space required. Unless you edit using AMA.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Eve Ramsden
on Nov 3, 2014 at 1:11:57 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for clarifying. Perhaps transcoding in Da Vinci Resolve lite would therefore be the only option, unless the drive was far bigger. I'm not editing the feature myself. The editor hasn't yet been appointed but the post supervisor would like me to start transcoding as soon as possible, and syncing the rushes. As a result, I don't know whether the editor would be happy to edit using AMA files, although I've heard this is a bad idea- I don't know why...

Stella

09PSR

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Nov 3, 2014 at 1:26:52 pm

OK, now is your time to shine then!

If I were you, and there are lots of different ways to skin a cat, I'd download Resolve Lite. It's free and pretty easy to use. There's no need really to go into any of the difficult colour grading stuff, you just want to transcode.

What was the film shot on?

I don't like editing anything using AMA because you have to have the Raw ONLINE the whole time. At least when you work with offline material it's much more mobile, reliable and native to Avid. You don't have to worry too much about the connection speed between your external drive and the computer for instance.

Are you Mac or PC?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 3, 2014 at 1:41:37 pm

500GB will be around 30 hours of DNxHD36. You can certainly make "dailies" via an AMA linked transcode process if the resulting files and deliveries are what thy want. Transcoding is one part of a dailies process depending on what editorial specs might be as well as viewing dailies for others. If it involves any kind of basic shot to shot color balancing (usually levels), burn-ins, H.264 viewing dailies with watermark, etc, then using a third party tool designed for dailies workflow would be better.

AMA link and transcode is just that - makes DNxHD(whatever). You can apply a LUT if provided, then these are LUT based transcodes. These can work well if everyone is on the same page calibration and color space wise. You may get a set for INT/EXT/DAY/NIT combo or one for every scene, and hopefully not one for every shot, but I've seen overzealous DITs provide those. And even in situations when a LUT is provided, I have seen colorists balance out shots to look more uniform.

Then comes audio - double system? Sync? Mix track only or all tracks? Are thy timecode jam synced? I have seen dailies contracts that only called for 'timecode synced" dailies meaning they weren't responsible for non timecode takes. etc. Do they want 1/4 frame sync accuracy ad control? Or will they sync and you provide MOS picture transcodes only? Do you provide additional logging such as scene/take as well as need to generate producer's reports?

As you can see, whenever I hear "making dailies" for a feature film, one or all of these needs come into play and a spec list from production and post are usually given before bidding. But the times are changing fast, but having something on paper that everyone has agreed to will save time and face later should issues arise.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]