FORUMS: list search recent posts

WD RED 4TB NAS Drives as media drives- spindle speed issues

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
WD RED 4TB NAS Drives as media drives- spindle speed issues
on Oct 31, 2014 at 12:08:56 pm

I recently purchased a couple of WD RED 3.0 4TB internal hard drives. My initial goal was to use them as back-up storage drives for other projects. But my goal has been modified to use them as media drives for editing with my AVID MC 6 program. I will be using them in the Caldigit VR (using an Firewire 800 connection... don't have USB 3.0 and the computer I'm using does not have ESATA)as an 8 TB 0 Raid configuration.

An associate just told me about something I never dealt with before... questioning the speed of the hard drive I'm using. Apparently when editing... especially when editing with layers, EFX, or other complicated timelines, the internal hard drive needs to be quick. If I understood this correctly meaning the spindle speed of the disk should be at least 7200 rpm.

The WD 4TB RED Drives I purchased have "intellipower" listed as their speed. I haven't been able to determine just how that translates to rpm spindle speed.
My initial work is assemble edit basic c-t-c style editing so this shouldn't be a problem, but I'm concerned when the project gets moving and layers, EFX etc. will be added.

Anybody have some input on this? Google did not help me find any definitive answers.

Thanks for your time and input!

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]