FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback severely delayed when audio enabled...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Cox
Playback severely delayed when audio enabled...
on Oct 26, 2014 at 4:46:08 am

Hi everybody! I've been searching for hours now and can't find an answer to my troubles. When I hit play (timeline or preview) there is a roughly ten second delay before my clip will start playing, making editing a real slow and painful process. Files are AVCHD transcoded to DNxHD 145 (HD1080p). I have noticed that if I disable the audio tracks via the power button on the track control panel, playback works perfectly fine. Is there some audio setting I'm not aware of or just something straight up dumb I might be doing that would make the audio trip me up this badly? I'm confounded.

Avid Media Composer 7.0
Windows 7
3.5 ghz i7 Intel processor
16gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Let me know if there's anything else I should share. Anything helps.

Thanks!

-Evan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Playback severely delayed when audio enabled...
on Oct 26, 2014 at 1:24:31 pm

When you transcoded the first time, did you also transcode the audio or are they still pointing to the audio on the camera originals?

Michael

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
on Oct 26, 2014 at 11:59:10 pm

Makes sense to me! Unfortunately I don't know if that's the case. Honestly I'm not entirely certain how to check where the audio is pointing to but I've tried pulling in a new file and transcoding the audio along with the video and I've gotten the same results unfortunately. Is there an easy way I can check this out?

Thanks for the help! Very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:33:21 pm

Is there active audio on every track, or is it like XDCAM where you always have 8 tracks of audio recorded, but only two have any real production audio on them. That can be a performance hog as well, depending on speed and connection of drive to the system.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 26, 2014 at 2:02:09 pm

Michael beat me to it. I might add that It's odd that Transcoding the audio is not pre-checked as the default setting by Avid.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 26, 2014 at 2:09:36 pm

That's another longtime request that would be easy to implement.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:23:42 pm

What are you using for a media drive? Best to have a dedicated media drive (RAID if possible). This can be internal or external via eSATA or USB 3 (not USB2). Since you are on Windows, you probably don't have Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt, which are other options for external storage.

Your processor, RAM and graphics card are more than capable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]