FORUMS: list search recent posts

VERY strange audio problem in Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Pontillo
VERY strange audio problem in Avid
on Oct 22, 2014 at 1:43:18 pm

Hi everyone.

So we are having a very strange problem with audio export in Avid.

We are trying to send network a DNX HD 115 quicktime for broadcast, and they require 12 separated audio tracks embedded in the quicktime.

Easy enough...not really.

We take the 12 separated audio tracks from our mixer, insert them into the sequence, and all plays back fine. All the tracks have wave form and the levels are right.

So when we export to Quicktime, we do a direct output.

All works fine, but when we bring the quicktime back into Avid to check and make sure all went OK...the first 10 tracks of audio are still visually there, but are all blank. No wave form.

Tracks 11 and 12 have wave form, but seem to be a complete mix of all the other tracks...obviously wrong.

We have been doing outputs at an online edit house in the mean time...and they can't figure out our problem either...they do the same exact thing...but they have no problems with their Avid doing crazy things with the audio.

I know there must be a setting somewhere...but we've tried all combinations of settings to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: VERY strange audio problem in Avid
on Oct 22, 2014 at 2:25:12 pm

Did you check "Direct Out in both "audio settings" and in "export settings"? Also in audio settings you should be able to patch audio channels if it does not default to 1=1, 2=2 etc.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Oct 22, 2014 at 2:40:57 pm

I failed to ask what version MC you are using and if it is the same as the online house. You will also need to export same as source and if you have mixed DNxHD then you will need to do a video mixdown to DNxHD 115 to have the QT deliverable to specs.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Dave Pontillo
on Oct 22, 2014 at 2:46:18 pm

Avid Media Composer 8.1.0. Same as the online house.

And yeah we do a video mix down so all clips are DNX 115 so it passes tech eval.

Return to posts index

Dave Pontillo
on Oct 22, 2014 at 2:51:45 pm

Oh and yes..."Direct Out" is set in both export settings and audio settings, and all tracks are mapped correctly.

Here is something strange...when we go into audio project settings, and click the check mark for "allow 16 tracks of audio" - then exit the settings, then go back into the settings, the check mark is gone.

So something doesn't want to allow that setting to stay...But we are still able to get 12 channel output...it is just all messed up (10 tracks blank, last 2 tracks a mix of everything).

Not sure what is causing this...

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 22, 2014 at 3:57:28 pm

Have you opened the file in quicktime player to check the channels? You could turn channels 11 and 12 off in quicktime player to see if there's any audio playing on the others and then you could rule out the problem occurring during the import back to Avid.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Dave Pontillo
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:14:11 pm

Yeah we tried that...There is no audio playing out of tracks 1-10.

And we are linking the 12 audio tracks to the Avid sequence via AMA, so no import problems should be happening.

So we are thinking this is definitely an export issue...for some reason Avid is mixing the tracks into 11 and 12.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:09:18 pm

Have you tried exporting fewer channels (say just 6) to see if there's a point when the problem occurs, we've just upgraded to 8.2 if I get minute I'll try to run a test to see if we have the same problem.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Dave Pontillo
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:14:14 pm

We will definitely try exporting fewer channels! Good idea.

Could this be an issue with our sound card? We are using brand new Trashcan macs...the same as our online house (who had no issues)...not sure if the sound cards may differ though...

Could it be our sound card can't process that many channels?

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:35:18 pm

I just did a test and had no issues MacPro (not new) running 8.2 with nitis DX box, I think I read something about the new macpros having compatibility issues with media composer because of the sound card but I thought that prevented media composer from even opening, so I presume that's fixed?

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Dave Pontillo
on Oct 24, 2014 at 8:24:20 pm

OK...so we did an export with only 6 tracks...and it did the same thing...It mixed all the tracks into tracks 5 and 6.

Tracks 1 through 4 were all blank, and tracks 5 and 6 were a crazy mix of everything.

We have direct out checked in every possible place...so how is it giving us something so different than what we are putting in?

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Oct 26, 2014 at 5:52:34 pm

This is a known issue. UDevC00186430 - QT SAS Export with Direct Out mixes all audio tracks in two.
Fixed in 8.2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]