FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 8.0 won't link MXF files as a batch (only individually)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holden Mohring
MC 8.0 won't link MXF files as a batch (only individually)
on Oct 20, 2014 at 12:58:11 pm

I am working on a project shooting C300. I have MC 8.0 installed, checked my plugins and have the MXF plug in installed (MSP_MXF Plug in 1.9). I want to be able to AMA the MXF footage into Avid however I can not seem to get it to work. The original file structure is still in place, I make sure I select MXF upon import rather then keeping it on auto detect. Each time however it comes back with a message "Unable to Link to any clips..." followed by the file path.

The only time it will work is if I go into each individual folder and AMA the file separately, and if the file spans over multiple MXF files then I still have to import those individually and it doesn't recognize it as one clip. I have the exact same issue when i tried to just import the footage as well. Since this is a documentary and there will be a lot of footage I really can't be going into each clip to import all this.

I've tried installing the Avid plugin from Canon themselves but that doesn't seem to do anything upon the install. Really at a lost as to how to get this working...

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: MC 8.0 won't link MXF files as a batch (only individually)
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:19:51 pm

Which folder are you clicking on when you tell the box to ama link?

I find sometimes moving up or down a level will net better results.

Also check your folder names for odd characters, or if the c300 structure itself is buried too deep in another structure. (put the c300 structure in the root of the drive)

And as you've discovered, a span clip is a pain in the butt if you are trying to individually link them.

Finally, as I discovered in another thread this week, alt dragging a folder from the finder/explorer window into an avid bin does a pretty good job of ama linking every subfolder inside that main folder. Haven't tried it with c300, but worth a shot.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:26:13 pm

also, read through the list...there is a very good description of a similar problem about 4 questions earlier.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Holden Mohring
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:35:19 pm

I just gave it a read, I've done what that thread covers. I've tried importing the "Contents" folder but it did not work. The files have not been changed in name from the camera and the original file structure (Contents - CARD001 - AAxxxx - Media).

Return to posts index

Holden Mohring
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:31:50 pm

Just in case it was a specific folder in the file structure I actually tried them all. None of them worked unfortunately...

Also the C300 isn't buried too deep... but as I mentioned before I am doing this for a Documentary. They will be shooting over the next few months and as the footage adds up I want to avoid having it all just on the root of the drive. Right now it's under a media folder, then date, then cards to the footage. So not too far down, but I also want to avoid bringing it up as it will create quite a messy drive down the road.

I have actually tried the alt drag in but it came back with an error stating "Could not auto-detect clip format". Is there a setting in Avid I can change to make this an MXF AMA link if I option drag in? I couldn't seem to find it if so...

Thanks for the response! Really want to get to the bottom of this....

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:26:41 pm

Do you have the canon xf plugin?

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Holden Mohring
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:29:49 pm

I did download it and install it from Canon. However I'm not sure if it installed correctly... It would show an extracting progress bar then just disappear after finishing. The only plugin I can see in Avid in regards to MXF is the one I mentioned in my first post.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:59:59 pm

Are you Mac or PC?

Open the console in Avid (cmd 6 mac or ctrl 6 win) type AMA_ListPlugins and you'll get a list (see pic)

Check to see if the CanonXF64 plugin is there if not you can manually install it buy dragging the plug straight into your AMA plugins folder which on a Mac is Library/Application Support/Avid/AVX2_Plugins/AMA (I don't know the path for PC I'm afraid)

I can send the Mac version of the plugin to you by email if need it?

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Holden Mohring
on Oct 20, 2014 at 5:17:16 pm

I definitely do not have the canon one... I guess the automatic installer doesn't work. If you could send me the plugin by email that would be great! I am on a Mac as well so that's really helpful.

The plugin I do have was a dmg I mounted and it only had one file that was a picture of a CD with an arrow going down through it and install was part of the name. I'd screenshot it but I'm away from the computer at the moment. Not sure if that sounds like the right one though. The name of the file I downloaded from Canon was "xpmm-2-0-3-8-9l.dmg".

Return to posts index

Holden Mohring
on Oct 21, 2014 at 2:47:19 am

So I was able to extract the Canon MXF plugin on a friends Macbook and copy the files over to my machine, this has given me the proper plugins for the AMA. However I am still having the same issues trying to import the files via AMA into AVID.

Open to any other ideas....

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:43:38 am

Can you take a screen grab of the whole file path?

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]