FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracking on a very shaky image

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan crouch
Tracking on a very shaky image
on Oct 14, 2014 at 7:22:46 am

I am trying to track a news report on a giant outdoor screen, to give the appearance that it is a public news bulletin watched in a stadium. The giant screen footage however is very shaky.

I am simply using picture in picture, and tracking it using the corner tacking tool in 3D effects.

The result is a bit shaky. Would anyone do this in a different way? It does jump around a bit.

Thanks v much in advance for any advice.

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: Tracking on a very shaky image
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:35:58 am

Step through your track and see how well it is actually tracking off the points you are giving it. Without seeing its difficult to judge. I find avid's tracker pretty good so keep tweaking it.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:58:46 am

Perhaps try Image stabilizing the background. BCC has an optical stabilizer which smooths motion rather than totally stabilizing it, so the larger motions get left in, but the shakes get smoothed out. Or if the background can remain motionless, use Avid's Region stabilizer.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 14, 2014 at 2:00:14 pm

Yes, depending on what the final effect is you are looking for (hand held or tripod) I would stabilize the shot, track it, insert the footage, then reverse the stabilize data to put the shake back in. Now in all honesty, I wouldn't do all this in MC normally, so I can't say off the top of my head how easy it is to invert the stabilize after the fact from within MC.

Glenn

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 14, 2014 at 2:41:52 pm

Also, you can improve results on particularly shaky shots by doing a video mixdown of a stabilised shot then applying the stabilise again on the mixdown.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Oct 15, 2014 at 6:23:50 am

Thanks for the posts guys.
Very much appreciated, I shall try all I the above.

Can I just ask, in terms of the tracking itself, I have been
using pic in pic, then clicking on the 3D option bottom right of window. Then I use one of the 'corner tracking' options, making any adjustments with keys frames.

Is that considered to be a decent way of doing it of is there a better, smoother option?

Thanks again for any help with this.

Dan.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 15, 2014 at 8:49:43 am

I usually find it better to use the stabilise effect first then go into 3d warp if I need to change other parameters,

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Oct 15, 2014 at 11:29:22 pm

In general, that's how I'd track something like that in the Avid, and like mentioned before, Avid does have a very good built in tracker. That said, sometimes Motion Blur can really make huge difference with a shaky shot. Just a little bit to sell the effect. If you know the basics of After Effects, I generally would use After Effects. Track in Mocha (using the Mocha Import Plus script) and Red Giant's Warp plugin and you can get some amazing tracking work done.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:30:17 pm

Actually I just discovered you can add a stabilize to a filler area above your shot. just razor up the area you need to stabilize.
In theory, you could continue to mount the effects layer upon layer without doing a mixdown. I avoid mixdowns out of habit as i come from an online/offline/... constant client revisions world.

Glenn

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:05:25 am

Thanks Glenn for post.
Can I ask, when doing a track, pip. Is it important
to track all four corners?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:47:45 pm

Honestly, I don't do a lot of tracking in Avid. I offline in Avid and online in DS, Resolve and Fusion usually. Most of my tracking is done in Mocha or DS.

From a workflow standpoint, if you are replacing a tv screen or something like that, than yes you should use 4 point tracking. Unless you can guarantee that the object you are tracking has absolutely no skew or rotation or ever changes perspective in the slightest amount, you need those 4 corners locked.

If you are tracking a logo on a shirt to blur it out, you can usually get away with a single point tracker.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Oct 23, 2014 at 7:47:58 pm

Folks,
Note that there is a way to get mocha tracking data into Avid MC/Symph. You can track a shot in mocha and then import the track data into Boris BCC corner pin effect.

mocha can handle jittery, out of focus and difficult tracks that the point tracker found in Avid can not.

Here is a quick tutorial:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/planar-tracking-workflow-for-avid-an...

Hope this is useful.
-Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Oct 24, 2014 at 7:06:17 am

I think you have solved the mystery of my tracking problem!
I am re cutting a film and have been pulling my hair out
trying to figure out why the previous editors tracking was so good and mine so rubbish.

I now think this is how he has done it.

Thanks very much for that, I will start using it ASAP.

Cheers, Dan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]