FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering buying MC 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Jackson
Considering buying MC 6
on Oct 11, 2014 at 10:21:07 pm

Hi, I saw an unopened copy of Media Composer 6 for sale. I am considering buying it, then upgrading from there. The label on the box reads: “ASY FNL, MEDIA COMPOSER 6”. I’m spooked by the “ASY FNL” part. Doe’s anyone know what that abbreviation stands for? What would be a reasonable price to offer the seller?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Considering buying MC 6
on Oct 12, 2014 at 4:14:59 pm

Not sure about the asy aspect. My guess would be its an educational version. Many of the unopened copies for sale are just that, but I believe there is an upgrade path from educational versions as well.

Give avid licensing a call and ask them what the upgrade cost is for educational.

I would also contact the seller and clarify.

The math isn't that hard.

1300 for a new version

300 for an upgrade to 8 plus what ever you pay for the "used" version, plus a bit of "will this work" cost.

I would be more inclined to look for used dongles online. They are pretty hard to spoof, and are easy to upgrade for that same 300 dollars. Pretty much any level of Avid can be upgraded to MC8 if you have a dongle. Again, a quick call to Avid support/licensing will clarify the cost.

Glenn

Return to posts index

neil forsyth
Re: Considering buying MC 6
on Oct 13, 2014 at 1:32:55 pm

I have to agree with everything Glenn said, but check that the seller is the registered owner as well as they will have to fill out a transfer of ownership license and you will have to pay Avid an admin cost to do this. Last dongle I bought cost an additional £300 to transfer to my name before I could upgrade it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]