FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't consolidate Prores HQ

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joaco Güiraldes
Can't consolidate Prores HQ
on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:49:34 pm

Hi,
I've been working on an edit on Avid MC 8 on Mac Os X Mavericks using an Apple Prores HQ 1080p file through AMA.
I want to consolidate the file. The project settings match the files specs, and I set media creation to PRORES HQ MXF.

However when I try to consolidate I get the following error:

Some of the items selected for Consolidate contained foreign compression types, which could not be consolidated.
See the console for details.
To Consolidate these clips, please transcode them to a native compression type first.

I checked the console and it says:
The clip TestProresHQ was skipped during the Consolidate operation because it is of a foreign compression type.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Or may this be a compatibility error between MC and Mavericks?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Can't consolidate Prores HQ
on Oct 11, 2014 at 8:51:46 am

How was the prores clip created. There are a number of 3rd party prores encoders that make prores "type" files but they cause all sorts of issues.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 11, 2014 at 3:29:09 pm

Open it in Quicktime Player and get info on it.

Several times I have encountered files that were encoded with AAC audio (believe it or not, some programs have that as the default setting!).

Sometimes, the problem is not the video.

Return to posts index

Joaco Güiraldes
on Oct 13, 2014 at 8:20:10 pm

Hi,
I'm back at the office and was able to check. Everything looks ok in the quicktime info.

I don't know how it was created. I received it from a post production company. I'll ask them, but it maybe an Avid compatibility issue. I'm working on Mavericks and I've had a few problems already.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 15, 2014 at 12:22:23 am

Looks fine. It should work, based on what I see.

If you want to post the file on dropbox or something, I'd be happy to give it a go and see if it happens on my system,

Return to posts index

Joaco Güiraldes
on Oct 17, 2014 at 1:45:10 pm

Thank, I'm talking to the post house to see if they can pinpoint the problem, which is probably my system (I accidentally updated mac os x and alot of stuff has been failing, but I didn't notice the update until today).

At least you've been able to help me confirm that it should work. Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

James Sapione
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:21:05 pm

Did you find an answer to this? Im having the same issue.

MacBook Pro 2.6ghz i, 8gig ram
Mac OS 10.8.5
Avid MC 7

I have over 2 hrs of a linecut created on a KiPro - ProRes 422. I have ISO footage also recorded this way. Reading older posts everyone suggest to consolidate the prores to give it a MXF wrapper so that Avid can track it better. I'm told ProRes is native to Avid MC7. That i only need to consolidate via AMA. I choose that option and get the error message:

Some of the items selected for Consolidate contained foreign compression types, which could not be consolidated.
See the console for details.
To Consolidate these clips, please transcode them to a native compression type first.

What gives? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:44:08 pm

Could it be the files are a Prores flavour rather than pucker Apple prores? We are seeing a growning number of 3rd party Prores files that look like Prores but are treated by various apps as not real Prores. I normally use FCP to look at them to see what it thinks.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

James Sapione
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:55:47 pm

Hi Pat,
Thanks for quick reply. Appreciate it
This should just be regular ProRes422. The Kipro is well used in the industry. I can't image it being some other type of prores???
I link to the file fine with AMA. The playback is fine too.

Is ProRes native to MC7? Then I should be able to consolidate.

As a work around, if i need to Transcode - what should I transcode to? What would be the fastest Transcode? DNxHD or ProRess 422? This is where im confused. When i open the transcode dialog box i have many options to transcode to..... one of them is ProRes..... but the footage is already recorded as ProRes....why do i need to Transcode then????

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]