Slow AVID 8 on brand new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ulrich Thomsen
Slow AVID 8 on brand new Mac Pro
on Sep 29, 2014 at 11:33:23 pm

Hi

This might be a BCC 9 question too.

I have the new Mac Pro. as big as it can get. running Maverick latest version. LaCie Thunderbolt hard disk. AVID 8.1 with Symphony

OBS I'm using my iMac late 2009 as monitor. Hooked up via thunderbolt too.

Bottom line is that AVID is responding slow.

Even worse when I apply a BCC 9 effect to a clip in the timeline and open the effect editor. Then when I manipulate the handles to modify the effect settings it can take up to several seconds before the screen refreshes and the handles have moved to the modified setting. Like there's no real-time response.
Same if I drag the colored "circles" in the record monitor. Or click the position "cross". Nothing happens. When I drag say the position "cross" it takes like 3 to 5 seconds where nothing happens, then it jumps to the position. Sometimes there system crashes. It's basically impossible to work this way -- and something is clearly wrong.

I obviously haven't tried all the effects but "Rays" is one I'm using. Others behave the same way too. But it goes for AVID in general. It's like a heavy duty software running on a computer that doesn't meet the minimum processing and RAM requirements -- which is far from the case here.

I've tried running AVID on my way slower iMac from 2009 -- Avid 7.03 and BCC 8.2 and none of this is happening. Only split seconds delay. But I can click and drag just fine. I haven't tried to downgrade the Mac Pro system yet

Any suggestions anyone? A setting or something I have missed. I'm new to AVID and not the best technician

Why is this system so slow? Only AVID is installed on the Mac Pro

(I've tried running Garageband and it responds perfectly. no delay. Just super fast)

Best Ulrich

Media Composer 8. Mac Pro, late 2013, 2.7 GHZ 12 Core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB 1867 Mhz DDR3 memory AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]