FORUMS: list search recent posts

Properly exporting a video with 709 color space to create an mp4 file

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Kelly
Properly exporting a video with 709 color space to create an mp4 file
on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:23:46 pm

Hi all,

I have some video footage that's in 709 color space, and it was cut on an Avid MC 6.5.0 timeline.

FWIW, I've been creating DVD's of this footage by exporting the Avid timeline as a QuickTime reference, then bringing that QT reference into Compressor to create m2v and ac3 files that I burn in DVD Studio Pro. The DVD looks fine, just like the footage.

I'm trying to post an mp4 version of the same footage on Vimeo, but the color isn't coming out right on the mp4 - it looks way too dark, which is what you'd expect this footage to look like when it isn't handled properly by the application that's viewing it, correct?

I've tried multiple ways, but I don't think it's supposed to be this complicated, is it? Theoretically, all I need to do is export the timeline using "Send to QT Movie" and then make sure the compression is set to "MPEG-4 video," correct?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Properly exporting a video with 709 color space to create an mp4 file
on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:55:43 pm

Job ter Burg has a good document he wrote up on export which may of help to you:

http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/601_709_RGB.pdf

Michael

Return to posts index

Matt Kelly
on Sep 29, 2014 at 10:46:25 pm

Thanks, Michael! I will go through this and see if it does the trick.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Sep 29, 2014 at 11:23:12 pm

For some reason, Media Composer has a lot of trouble generating mp4's without distorting the colors. I might suggest you use the same QTRef files you used for the DVD(assuming your DVD is right), and input the QTrefs to a third party encoder. I have good success with MPEGStreamclip. But, other transcoders like Sorenson Squeeze also work well.

Return to posts index

Matt Kelly
on Oct 1, 2014 at 6:10:24 am

The DVD definitely looks okay - I actually made a QT reference file and pulled that into DVD Studio Pro. Let me try to export a QT with the same exact settings as the timeline and pull that into another program. Haven't been able to try this yet, but will as soon as I can.

Return to posts index

Sean MacGowan
on Oct 17, 2014 at 6:36:52 pm

Is there a resolution to this issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]