FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio keyframes VS cut and shunt

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Audio keyframes VS cut and shunt
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:28:35 pm

Hello all,

I am a career-long "cut and shunter" and I make no bones about it. By this I mean that when I want to dip/raise the volume on a clip, I make an edit, adjust the volume on one segment, then add a fade over the transition.

I've worked at a few places where I've been told not to do this. At the time I didn't feel like questioning it but I assumed this made things easier for the dubbing mixer. After looking around, I gathered that having lots of through edits in a timeline makes for less than perfect translation via OMF. Is this true? How bad is it? Should I get out of the habit? I really don't want to be handing off projects that leave people cursing my name but dammit, keyframing is such a pain in the arse. I love cut and shunt because if I need to move a sound bite for example and I have music dipped around it, I just need to roll my through edits along to accommodate it.

That said, if it really is a hassle for the sound guys I guess I'll have to kick the habit.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Audio keyframes VS cut and shunt
on Sep 25, 2014 at 8:11:16 am

Lots of dubbing mixers prefer to remove the offline editors audio adjustments. Audio keyframes/rubberbanding can be ignored on import. Your cuts can't. So it can make it harder in the dub.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]