FORUMS: list search recent posts

Giving dailies to the assistant editors ( exporting bins ?)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremie galan
Giving dailies to the assistant editors ( exporting bins ?)
on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:16:59 pm

We started to work on a project where my company is doing the transcoding dailies to offline and an other one is doing the edit.

We are transcoding to dnxhd 36, the assitant editor wants us to send him every morning"avid bins" everyday with the yesterday rushes.

How could i manage exporting bins and media the easy way as it is a daily routine.

wouldn't be easier if he was doing the bins himself on his machine with us only sending the dnxhd as he can do fast import ?

Best Regards
Jeremie

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: Giving dailies to the assistant editors ( exporting bins ?)
on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:28:40 pm

Yes, it would be easy for him to do it. You should just be able to give .mxf files and an ALE for metadata and CDL info. He would need to copy the mxf to avid media files folder then drag the .mdb file into a new bin. Then import the ale to add the metadata. Otherwise, you'll need Avid to do this yourself and give the bin. It may be better to do it yourself so you can make sure it's done correctly so that you don't run into any problems if you are involved in pulling data for the online.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:30:38 pm

Also, how are you transcoding the rushes?

Michael Cheung

Return to posts index

jeremie galan
on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:47:13 pm

Thanks for the inputs
We re using Resolve Lite 11
What do you mean by doing it ourselves ? it means that we'll end up sending them avid projects and bins ? Seems tedious in media management...

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:26:14 am

That is a very common request - they want you to verify the bin structure and proper metadata views in the bin. You only need to send the project once. From then on, you only need to send the bin and the MXF media.

Michael

Return to posts index

jeremie galan
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48:34 am

So if i understand correctly the first day i'll set up an avid project with the first day bin.

Then second day i do my transcode, import them in avid verify metadata and then send them the bin and the mediafiles and they ll relink them ? no need to send them ale ? as for the media files just copy them from the avid media folder ?

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:58:05 am

Yeah.

If I were you, each day just create a new folder in your Avid Media Files folder as a date - so you can keep track. And if things needs to get replaced it's much easier to find.

Michael Cheung

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:58:32 am

Correct - once you transcode dailies, you will crate an Avid project (based on their naming convention) and move/copy mediafiles to that folder. Keep the folder naming to numbers only or MC will not index the files upon launch. As suggested, manage each batch/day worth of dailies that best makes sense to you and production.

Create a bin and populate with clips, merge ALE, etc. Ensure that clips are linked, in sync, scrub through, etc. a basic QC of both media and metadata. For example, in my years of providing dailies, they may request that you name the clips based on their convention, etc. Also provide reports for issues with timecode, focus, etc. (all detailed ahead of time before the bid). This may include burn-in,position, size, as well as sync audio, etc.

Once all dailies have been QC's, then the first day, send project, bin, and mediafile folder which has been named to date. If you use numbers only, then something like 20140923 would be both a uniquely named number and date satisfying both your needs.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]