FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer louder than other Mac software

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nancy L. Sutton Smith
Media Composer louder than other Mac software
on Sep 21, 2014 at 8:27:18 pm

This isn't about clip volume, it is about Media Composer being louder than all my other IMac applications. If I am using Lynda for instance, and I am switching back and forth inside Media Composer and out, the volume gets louder when a browser is playing. I made a video of the problem. Playing Chrome inside and outside Premiere Pro, there is not a difference in the level. Also, if I have Premiere and Media Composer open with the same clip and the same VU meter level, it is louder when I am using Media Composer.
In short, I need to turn down the whole Media Composer application. Is there such a setting?

<a href="http://f1.creativecow.net/8011/media-composer-louder-than-other-imac-apps">8011_audiodisparity.3gp.zip</a>

Nancy L. Sutton Smith
Northeast Community College
Mass Media/Journalism/Post Production Instructor
Sutton Bay Media Company

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Media Composer louder than other Mac software
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:32:00 am

Monitor output level from Media Composer can be adjusted via the Audio Tool.

Return to posts index

Nancy L. Sutton Smith
on Oct 3, 2014 at 1:04:08 pm

No, that is what I said in my first sentence about this not being a clip volume question. The VU clip level is the same in Premiere and Media Composer. Media Composer plays it considerably louder. So it is the output of the software, not a clip adjustment. I created a video example of the problem, but it was lost in the Creative Cow approval system.

Nancy L. Sutton Smith
Northeast Community College
Mass Media/Journalism/Post Production Instructor
Sutton Bay Media Company

Return to posts index

matt taflan
on Feb 10, 2015 at 7:26:07 pm

I don't have a solution, but I have seen the same issue on my mac book pro.
If i adjust the system volume while in Avid, it turns everything up as you would assume. but when I leave avid, to go to Lynda.com, or my email, my background music gets turned way up (or down)
What I do:
After spending a moment shaking my head and asking "why avid, why?"
I open my AUDIO SETTINGS in Avid and adjust my volume accordingly, then I leave avid for a moment and RE-ADJUST my system volume to match.

note: this is NOT a solution or even what I would call a work-around. It's simply how I deal with it.
But learning about the audio settings at least helped me keep my volume level (until the next time I adjust it in 5 minutes)

I'm new to Avid, so this is one of many things that shows it's ugly head while I'm just trying to edit a simple interview with B-Roll.
So many things come up I could start my own forum, but it wouldn't be constructive... ha!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]