FORUMS: list search recent posts

Splicing-in without splicing the sound?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nils Moström
Splicing-in without splicing the sound?
on Sep 19, 2014 at 10:01:09 am

Hi!
I have emigrated from fcp to avid and I find that i can´t edit as fast in avid, and its mainly down to this problem. I guess i thinking like a fcp editor. I like to have lots of audio tracks and I tend to use a lot of sound fx.

The problem occur when i want to change an edit and splice in a cut. The whole timeline get spliced and my comlicated audio tracks gets spliced in half. What is the best workflow for this kind of edits?

In FCP I would just have used the T comand and selected the rest of the timeline and moved it. I think Premiere have neat way of solving this problem by not moving the audio that the locator is standing on.

I know avid have now have the same select all function as fcp but i'm curently on avid 5 and it selects all the empty tracks (alt select don't work in avid 5) so it is not an good solution. And I feel that i want to do learn the avid way and not applying my fcp workflow on avid.

Here is two pictures that illustrate my problem. But from an very uncomplicated timeline.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Splicing-in without splicing the sound?
on Sep 19, 2014 at 3:31:10 pm

Yes...this was the BANE of my existence. ANd one reason I loved FCP. Now, Avid does have the SELECT ALL RIGHT, and SELECT ALL LEFT options like you found in FCP...and those did start in MC 5.5 I believe. If not, then in 6. But I think 5.5 So you can select all left and then move to the left, keeping things intact.

And sorry...the only way to not select the empty tracks is to upgrade to a later version that does that.

Sorry that isn't a good solution for you in MC5...but it is the only one. Better than needing to add filler and chop up all your clips. THAT was a complete pain. Although one solution is to utilize TRIM MODE and do an assymetrical trim. But then you still have some cleanup to do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]