Drive won't rebuild database.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan crouch
Drive won't rebuild database.
on Sep 18, 2014 at 7:13:12 pm
Last Edited By dan crouch on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:27:19 pm

Can anyone please help with this.
I am trying to export an AAF for a sound mix and have a problem with one of my external hard drives.
I am running Avid 6.5.4.2 on a Mac.

I have exported quite a few sequences before until now.

Firstly, I have 2 folders on one of the drives that won't rebuild their databases - I get this error when scanned - DOMAIN_COPYIN_FAILURE

I am not too familiar with hard drives but any help would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Drive won't rebuild database.
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:28:07 pm

What are permissions set to?

Michael

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:30:09 pm

Hi Michael,
Permissions are set to read and write.

Cheers,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 19, 2014 at 12:28:59 pm

How many files in the folder? More than 5000? Try splitting the contents over more folders.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Sep 19, 2014 at 12:52:34 pm

Thanks for the post Pat.
No there is a very small amount of files in folder.

Last night out of frustration I renamed the folder with a few letters after the number to make it invisible to Avid. This has seemed to work and also has not taken anything offline.

This happened when I was trying make an AAF export last night for a sound mix today in town. It looks like during this process, Media Composer made a new folder (the probematic one) and the new MXF's it created became corrupt in some way.

Can I ask what you make of this as I would like to avoid it in future.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Dan.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 19, 2014 at 12:58:45 pm

If the folders are named anything but a number, they will no longer be indexed, but will still be read by Avid. So any new material added will not be seen.

So the folders in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF can be named:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or

10, 11, 12, 13, or

10, 20, 30 and they will all be seen.

If you rename one of then to 1A or 10-exterior after they have been indexed the content will be seen, but anything added afterwards will not. If this is the case, then rename the folder to a digit only name.

Michael

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:01:52 pm

Thanks Michael, that's very helpful.
Can I ask, if I have 3 drives, can they all have folders 1-20 etc or should they be exclusive across all drives. For ex drive 1 has MXF folders named 1-12 drive 2 has MXF folders named 13-20.

Thanks again,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:05:40 pm

Numbered folders can be the same across different drives just not in the same MXF folder. However keeping them different makes combining the contents of drives easier.
So you could have all the folders in drive 1 start at 1000 (so 1001, 1002,1003) and use 2001,2002,2003 for drive 2 etc.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:06:48 pm

As long as they are on separate drives, you can have similar named folders. Media Composer will always create a "1" folder if there isn't one for capture, import, renders, transcodes until it reaches its file limit and will create the next available number. When managing feature length editorial I tend to start with "11" saving the first 10 folder for MC to do its thing and the number scheme is 11 is "1st" day of dailies, 12 is 2'dn day, etc. Depending on number of dailies, separate drives and such, you can do 101, 102, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:17:33 pm

Thank you both for post's very helpful indeed I will stick to that in future.

Can I ask just 1 more question?

Last night during exporting AAF, Avid was making a new folder, named 1. From what you are saying this is because there wasn't enough room on any other folder for the new renders.

I thought it was doing so in error because in the new folder were lots of what appeared to be duplicate files...

Avid_Mob.0A02.D541B4C90.1.mxf
Avid_Mob.0A02.D541B4C90.2.mxf

The question is, are these dupe files .1 & .2? if not then Avid was simply making a new file as you say.

Thanks again for any help with this, I had a very late night trying to figure it out.

Dan.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:44:40 pm

remember, Avid will always output to a "1" folder until it is too full. Then it will switch to "2" unless you have a 2 that is too full, and so on.

The fact that your highest numbered folder might be 564 is not important to Avid. If there is no "1" folder it will make it, and render to it. If there is a "1" folder with room, it will render to it, and so on and so on. It doesn't know you want to use 564, and you can't tell it that.

If you were getting duplicated media files, perhaps you were consolidating, without the "skip media already on the drive" checkbox clicked? I believe the MOB files you are pointing to are usually internally created avid files, like renders created in the process.

Glenn

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Sep 20, 2014 at 9:38:40 am

Thanks for the post Glenn.
Very helpful. I do remember trying to consolidate some media to try and get around the exporting problem, I didn't help so I have up, so that would be exactly right.

Problem solved.
All you post's were very helpful and very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]