FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid glitches very often

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Furie
Avid glitches very often
on Sep 18, 2014 at 12:06:27 am

I am working on a new mac pro, with OSX Mavericks and am running Media Composer 7.0.4. From the start of this new mac and new Avid software, there have been glitches. There are many times when just scrubbing through the sequence, the spinning wheel of death comes up. Sometimes if I am patient, it goes away, but usually it continues to spin, or ends in a segment fault error. There has been no pattern of when and why this occurs. It does occur the most frequently when I have just copied MXFs into the Avid MediaFiles folder structure (with Avid off). When I restart Avid is when I see the most glitches, with me sometimes restarting the computer twice before I can actually work. Some of the MXFs I bring in were created in a Media Composer project using Avid 7.0.3 but I can't believe that would cause a problem. Does anyone have any answers? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: Avid glitches very often
on Sep 18, 2014 at 12:41:01 am

I think you'll need to provide some more information. Are you in a unity / Isis setup? If it happens only when scrubbing you could try turning off Fast Scrub in timeline settings. Is your media local or external? Do you have any IO devices... Such as Black Magic / Matrox. Are they normal sequences with no effects? Are you using all mxf or some Ama?

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Sarah Furie
on Sep 18, 2014 at 1:01:28 am

I am not on a unity/isis setup. I am just using a 2.0 T G-drive. It does not only happen when scrubbing. It is mainly after I copy MXF files into the proper folder structure, but it does seem to glitch when I open a new sequence (after the copy) and try to play certain clips. The media is on the G-drive. I am using Black Magic to link audio to the stereo speakers and video to a LG monitor, but even with that off the problem still occurs. The sequence does have effects, but even when rendered the problem occurs. We are using mostly MXF files. I AMA'ed some files but then transcoded them BEFORE using them in a sequence. Some people have told me that Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks doesn't play nice with Avid 7.0.4. However, Avid has made a statement that it works. If it is Mavericks that is the problem, I am not sure how to fix it as Mavericks is the operating software the mac came with. Downgrading to Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is not recommended. Have you ever downgraded a Mac software? Crazy how having the newest/latest software, which should be a good thing, could be the issue.

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:41:52 am

Stability is the reason I moved to a high end PCs - but that's another story.

Firstly, I have come across this regarding permissions..

"With the release of Mac OS 10.7 Lion, 10.8.x Mt. Lion, and now Mavericks 10.9.x the default permissions for the root level of the system drive of the Mac are now set to “Read Only” for all users.

You will see the drive grayed out in Media Creation settings or as an option for import, mixdown, render, and consolidate/transcode or see an error "Segmentation Fault at 0x0"

For customers that don’t intend to use the system drive for media, they can leave it as is. This is ideal in most cases. For those that need to use the system drive, they should take the following steps to change permissions:

1. Click on the system (Macintosh HD in most cases) drive to highlight
2. From the File menu select Get Info (cmd+I)
3. Click the lock icon in the bottom right to make changes
4. Click on the “Read only” text in the Privilege column next to Everyone and set the privilege to “Read & Write”

Customers should now be able to see the system drive as a valid media drive. Note: repairing permissions on the system drive will reset and they will have to repeat this procedure."

Secondly, I copied this from avid for OSX Lion, it'll probably work on Mavericks. Maybe the crash log will give some useful info...

1.Bring Finder into focus by clicking on its icon in your Dock.
2.Click Go > Go to Folder.
3.When prompted, type ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, and click OK.
4.The crash logs are named according to which program crashed.
5.Select the crash logs that you are interested in, right-click on them and choose compress.
6.A .zip file containing your crash logs will now appear. Zipping the crash logs makes them easier to handle, and also helps to preserve data integrity.
7.Repeat this process, using this folder in step three: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]