FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping track of used clips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Keeping track of used clips
on Sep 17, 2014 at 1:50:45 pm

Hello, me again,

I'm working on a clips show and am cutting many short 3 minute VTs which will end up being assembled into episodes later. I've got over 2000 clips and am looking for a way to keep track of which ones have already been used.

All the media is on an Interplay system which I am connecting to via a wifi login (don't ask, I think I'm a guinea pig for this new system). The media has been tagged with metadata putting clips into different categories, so each clip can be in many different categories. I brought the media into Avid by first searching for the category on Interplay, then dragging those clips into a bin of that name in the Avid, repeating this for every category, leaving me with about 40 bins, each containing pointers to the media on Interplay. Naturally I now have many different instances of each clip residing across multiple bins.

My plan so far has been to keep each new VT sequence in its own bin, then when I'm done editing, I "show reference clips" in that bin, colour code all the clips, then close the bin. At first glance this seemed to update across into the category bin. But after working for a few days I'm realising this is very unreliable, it seems like in order to have the rushes bins fully up to date I have to open each and every sequence bin and sort of "show" it what clips are in there. This is totally impractical so I'm hoping someone can give me a steer on another way to keep track of the used clips.

My first thought is that maybe I error'd by bringing the clips into different category bins, thereby creating many different instances of each clip. If I had brought everything into one bin, would I be able to sift by category from within Avid?

I hope that made some sort of sense. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Keeping track of used clips
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:43:24 pm

If you track "category" as a column in a bin, then you can Sort or Sift leaving only those clips showing.

Michael

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Sep 17, 2014 at 7:23:29 pm

Hi Michael,

I did ask the tech boffins about that but they said the "category" metadata was added in the Interplay Access programme and as such isn't accessible within Media Composer. This makes sense to me since each clip will have multiple "category" entries. I'm not sure how MC would deal with that.

To update; what I've decided to do is keep all my sequences in one bin, and sporadically "show related clips" on that bin. When I colour code all the clips in there, they seem to update across the rushes bins when I open them.

I may run into problems down the line with this, but for now it seems to be working.

Of course, any further thoughts encouraged.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 17, 2014 at 7:44:45 pm

I get it - I am not often on Interplay so how metadata tags are applied are different. Good luck!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]