Transcoding P2 Footage in Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Subfish
Transcoding P2 Footage in Avid
on Sep 16, 2014 at 9:36:04 am
Last Edited By Subfish on Sep 16, 2014 at 7:43:50 pm

Hi folks

I have a strange one here that's puzzling a few of the editors I work with. Working on a broadcast doc which was shot on P2 at AVC-I100 1080i/25pn. Worked offline at DNX36 but now at the grading stage, usual practice here is to duplicate sequence, make media offline then relink to original camera rushes and transcode to DNX-HD185. However after the transcode there is a noticeable deterioration in the images, with banding visible in shaded areas. Yet when I apply the exact same grade to the AMA Linked flies they're perfectly clean.
I've only recently upgraded from Symphony 6 and Im wondering if this is a Version 8 thing?? Thoughts anyone?

I love tape, I really do.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Transcoding P2 Footage in Avid
on Sep 16, 2014 at 12:40:03 pm

As a test, what does it look like if you render the color corrected AMA linked clips to the same target resolution?

Michael

Return to posts index

Subfish
on Sep 16, 2014 at 12:52:17 pm

Hi Michael
That's the strange thing. I did a test last night, put the same shot on the sequence twice, one transcoded and one AMA, applied the grade to both and then did a video mixdown of the sequence at 185. The AMA linked clip was still fine.

Andrew

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
on Sep 17, 2014 at 2:39:48 am

Hello Andrew,

Try DNxHD 185X so your transcode is 10bit like the AVC-Intra AMA footage...

I'm going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVC-Intra as I've not used P2 AVC-Intra files before.

Also look at "Media Creation" "Render" "Effects Processing" is not set to 8-bit?

I hope this helps?

Regards,
Robert

Return to posts index

Andrew Stewart
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:46:36 pm

Hi Robert

Think you were right on the money there. It appears to have been the settings under 'Media Creation' etc.

Thanks for that! Greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]