COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Khosid
How to make someone transparent?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:03:02 pm

Hi,

Here is a cut from my video in order to understand the question better:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdkj13k0iacslx6/Avid%20Forum.mp4?dl=0

I am editing a short video and in some point the character (Chaplin) finds himself in a room with a woman he loves. In that point he is starting to fantasize about sitting near her. Now I have a problem to achieve the effect I want. I need a "ghost" Chaplin (an imaginary one) to come out of his body and go sit near the woman. This "ghost" should be a little bit transparent but the "real" characters must remain "real", in full transparency.

I have 2 different shots. One where he just stands in the left side of the screen and the woman reads a book on the couch. Second shot where he stands in the left side of the screen for a moment and then starts walking to the couch and joins the woman.

I put the 2 shots one on top of the other and use 3D Warp in order to reduce the opacity of the top one (the one in which he walks) but the bottom video track becomes also transparent. As you can see in my video, I tried to solve it somehow with a little freeze frame but it doesn’t really look perfect. Is there a way to do this really good? It sounded to me really easy task but I am starting to think that we needed to make him walk on a green screen for this.
My second problem is with the shot that follows, I need to make them transparent when they are on the couch (because it is still in his fantasy). If I just reduce this shot's opacity, I only get a darker shot (I can understand why, because beneath it there is just BLACK).

I hope I was clear enough, would really appreciate you help.

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
Re: How to make someone transparent?
on Sep 14, 2014 at 10:57:37 pm

Hi Alex,
I haven't used it in a couple of years, and I can't find the notes I made for its use, but using the 'difference matte' gave me the solution to a similar problem.
Ray-ey Salah had a tutorial here:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/saleh_ra-ey/difference_matte.php

Hope that helps.
Juris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]