FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinions Regarding Best Windows Laptop for Avid MC7/8.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Zimmerman
Opinions Regarding Best Windows Laptop for Avid MC7/8.
on Sep 11, 2014 at 4:43:50 pm

I'm a long time (1996?) Media Composer user, and have been for the majority of that time Mac-based. My primary systems at home and at work continue to be Macs, but I have some upcoming clients for whom it would be a smart move on my part to be visibly working on a PC-based system.

The qualified hardware list is pretty long and caveat-filled. Does anyone have any strong opinions on for a PC laptop based on the following parameters:

17"
Easy attachment of external monitor (or monitors) that MC recognizes.
Reasonably portable (it'll be used on set, hotel rooms, planes, etc).
STABILITY. I really just want a system that's as turnkey and non-finicky as possible.
To the latter point, any opinions on OS version combined with MC version would be appreciated as well.
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Opinions Regarding Best Windows Laptop for Avid MC7/8.
on Sep 17, 2014 at 1:32:10 pm

I have a new Zbook series from HP. I use it on the road, and I sits beside my main box while at the office. No problems at all, and as an added bonus, it comes with thunderbolt.

Connecting to your external monitor would have to be through the Thunderbolt, Display port or via another hardware device hooked up through the card slot as there is no DVI connector, but you can get an adapter for the thunderbolt. (I have a Matrox MXO2- non thunderbolt) that I have used with this laptop. That covers my in and out from tape if needed, and to a monitor.

Prices are comparable to MacBook pros.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: Opinions Regarding Best Windows Laptop for Avid MC7/8.
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:45:19 am

After going to Z books I don't think you'll go back ;)

Michael Cheung
http://filmcutter.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]