FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding in Adobe for Avid system

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Balsley
Transcoding in Adobe for Avid system
on Sep 8, 2014 at 6:05:24 pm

I would like to know the pros and cons of different methods of sending footage from Premiere to Avid. I'm talking about raw footage. I'm a DIT, and if I am transcoding on set using Premiere/AME, I want to make things easy for the editor.
I understand Avid prefers MXF OP-Atom files, which Adobe cannot create, as far as I know. So... options:

1. Write DNxHD in a MOV container. Import with AMA.
2. Write DNxHD in a MXF OP1a container and place files in Avid MediaFiles folder. Media Tool can't read it because it's not OP-Atom.
3. Write DNxHD in a MXF OP1a container. Importing with AMA sort of works, but always gives this error about the wrong format: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu0dl3fmsyj09h9/Screenshot%202014-09-08%2010.47.0...
4. Write DNxHD in a MXF OP-Atom container using some other tool than Adobe (Resolve, ffmpeg, etc.). Put files in Avid MediaFiles folder and use Media Tool.

Any other options? I've been told option 4 is better than 1, but I'm not sure why exactly. And supposing I wish to use Adobe for the encoding, that rules out option 4.

Possible reasons why this workflow is desirable:
- I own Premiere, not Avid
- Shooting on a 5DmkIII at 60p, conforming frame rate is much easier in Premiere
- DNxHD is a good codec, much better than trying to edit H.264 via AMA.

Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
http://www.llamafilm.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Transcoding in Adobe for Avid system
on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:48:58 pm

Have you tried DaVinci Resolve Lite? That will create Op Atom MXF files for Avid.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Sep 8, 2014 at 10:59:28 pm

Yes, I'm aware of that. I called it option 4 in my first post. But for some situations Premiere is a better tool than Resolve.

Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
http://www.llamafilm.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 8, 2014 at 11:13:07 pm

I'm curious, in what situations would Premiere be a better option than Resolve if you're delivering to Avid?

If you use Premiere/Media Encoder the editor is facing an import/transcode or AMA link/transcode. Whereas with Resolve they receive Avid media that's immediately ready to work with.

Option 5 would be to purchase/rent Avid when you're delivering to an Avid editor. It's only $50/month with a yearly commitment, or $75 if you want to rent it with no contract.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Sep 8, 2014 at 11:42:40 pm

That's a good point, I didn't know about the rental.
What if you use AMA to edit from the MOV wrapped DNxHD files? I've heard AMA editing is slow, but isn't that because of the codecs? If the footage is already DNxHD, then I don't see why AMA editing would be any different than editing imported media. But that's why I'm here asking the Avid experts.

[Michael Hancock] "I'm curious, in what situations would Premiere be a better option than Resolve if you're delivering to Avid?
Mostly I was talking about codecs unsupported in Resolve, e.g. AVCHD and long spanned XDCAM (Resolve doesn't handle spanning correctly).

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 9, 2014 at 12:04:58 am

The rental is only a couple of months old, so it's relatively new info.

Regarding AMA - DNxHD would be okay, but nothing beats Avid .mxf media when it comes to Avid performance and stability. AMA is great to preview, log, and immediately begin working but the recommended workflow is still to transcode/consolidate in the background or perhaps overnight to .mxf media, regardless of source material.

I'm working on a piece now with C300 footage and 5DMiii and decided not to do the transcode step. The interface is noticeably more sluggish, bins open slower, clips load slower, and occasionally files go offline for no reason. I can relink them fast enough, but I'm starting to regret not just transcoding in the background. So if you can give the editor Avid native .mxf media they will love you for it.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Sep 9, 2014 at 6:49:43 am

I understand how you would have problems with H.264 and Canon XF; those codecs weren't really designed for editing ease. But MOV wrapped DNxHD is another matter. Is there really any stability issue with that? Not trying to be argumentative, I just want to understand this.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 9, 2014 at 12:32:44 pm

There's not a huge issue, but AMA linked clips still go through a plug-in architecture, in this case QuickTime even if DNxHD. Although the codec is native, the management, and playback pipeline is not as direct with AMA linked files as it is with native managed media. Also, AMA tends to have performance issues as more media comes online, as well as longer source clips (10 mins + type clips). Managing AMA clips needs more TLC, etc. If doing longer form ediorial, native MXF wrapped DNxHD is still the way to go, regardless of Avid Marketing around AMA editing. For shorter, fast turnaround stuff, it can work.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 10, 2014 at 2:59:04 pm

If you still want to go with Adobe, Media Encoder can encode to MXF OP1a in the DNXHD codec, and does so much faster than transcoding to the QuickTime version off DNXHD. After linking to these files via AMA, you can consolidate in Avid. I think I would still go with Resolve, but AME is not painful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]