FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question on Import (RGB vs. Rec 709)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Janowski
Question on Import (RGB vs. Rec 709)
on Aug 27, 2014 at 2:11:00 pm

Avid 7.0x

I'm hoping you can point me in right direction...
I have two files, based on same video. One is Quicktime DNX in RGB colorspace, other is Quicktime DNX in Rec709 (YUV) Colorspace...

I know which is which, and when it is imported into Avid, and correct selection is made, all is fine...

HOWEVER.... If no-one is around to tell you (Hopefully correctly) which Colorspace the files were stored in.... You're stuck with a 50/50 guessing game... or you do the first file twice, to determine which to import the rest of the files as....

Here is the not so exciting part... If I do the same files in Premiere CS6, I don't get prompted which colorspace to use for import, and both look identical... No clipping or washed out images... Import is auto-magically correct with no user mistakes!

Is there a way of having Avid automatically determine the correct colorspace on import (as Premiere does) to speed up the import process in Avid...

Thanks for your assistance...

Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Question on Import (RGB vs. Rec 709)
on Aug 27, 2014 at 2:44:32 pm

Certainly not through import, which is as old as Media Composer and not really being updated to support new workflows. All of that is now done via AMA. AMA will make best guesses, but there is no "always works" for this particular situation. What AMA does do for you is once linked, go to source settings and look at the histogram to see what your levels are set to and be able to set it correctly on the fly with no need to re-import. From there, you can transcode which is faster than an import anyway.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Sep 1, 2014 at 2:29:18 pm

Yes. Look at the color profile if you can. And AMA is best for loading because color space is preserved, in theory.

When Importing anything, I always choose 709, which is telling the Avid not to touch the file, to do nothing to it. If you choose RGB in any case Avid remaps the color of the file being Imported.

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Jan 23, 2015 at 3:55:14 am
Last Edited By Neil Ryan on Jan 23, 2015 at 4:23:18 am

[Michael Phillips] "What AMA does do for you is once linked, go to source settings and look at the histogram to see what your levels are set to and be able to set it correctly on the fly with no need to re-import. From there, you can transcode which is faster than an import anyway. "

But note that this workflow doesn't work for QuickTimes with alphas. They can only be Imported, not linked&transcoded. More specifically, they can be AMA linked but the AMA link cannot be Transcoded.

Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]