FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlaced and Progressive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Ryan
Interlaced and Progressive
on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:00:50 am

So, Master Clips can be interlaced or progressive and Projects can be interlaced or progressive. And I understand that MC will handle a Source of one type into a Project of another.
But I get confused in respect of where interlaced or progressive Sequences fit in the relationship, given that one can have an interlaced Seq in a Prog Project, or vice-versa.
I'm trying to get my head around the ramifications of the different combinations, generally, but specifically, I have a job coming up that will have interlaced studio links throwing to progressive stories.
For this, my thought was to capture the story elements as progressive and have editors cut them in a progressive Project, then compile those stories in an interlaced Project & Sequence with the studio components.
We'll be finishing in Symphony and probably not grading until it's all compiled, so we'd be rendering in an interlaced Project. The only downside I see is that any transitions or moving effects in the stories will be rendered interlaced.
So, your thoughts generally on interlaced and progressive in MC would be appreciated, plus your thoughts on the particular job I have coming up.
(Currently, I'm talking about MC & Symphony 6.5 systems, on Macs with Blackmagic cards.)
Regards,
Neil.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Interlaced and Progressive
on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:05:05 am

Your sequences match the project...period. If it's an interlaced project...it'll be an interlaced sequence. Progressive project, progressive sequence. Use a project that matches your footage. If your footage is interlaced, use an interlaced sequence...and so on.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Interlaced and Progressive
on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:34:01 am

If you AMA then make sure using source settings that the clips are flagged correctly.
In an interlaced project use field stepping to identify progressive or interlaced and if interlaced that the field order is correct.
Then if you need progressive delivery switch the project to progressive.
If importing then the project format must match the source.
As long as the master clips are flagged right MC will add the correct motion adapters.
It does matter that you have the project and therefore the sequence correct as any effects, speed changes, dissolves etc will be made based on the project type P or i

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]