FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing audio

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandla Bolekaja
Importing audio
on Aug 21, 2014 at 7:30:29 pm

In MC7 upon import of audio files I have no sound.
I can see the wave forms and if I solo either A1 or A2 I can hear the audio but not from double clicking the audio clip from the bin to load into the viewer.

Any answers to this?

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing audio
on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:57:43 pm

There might be phasing...meaning the audio is canceling itself out. Try panning them both center.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:31:43 pm

"There might be phasing...meaning the audio is canceling itself out. Try panning them both center."

Thanks Shane, that works, in the timeline.
I had planned on using auto sync, I take it that's not possible.
It looks like I will have to pan each each audio clip and sync manually in timeline.
Autosync out of the question?
Any shortcuts you can give me?
Any explanation you can give me as to why this audio plays as it does in Avid? It plays fine without importing. Plays fine in other nle's. Tried PrPro, imports and plays fine there.

Thanks

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:00:03 pm

Further information on the problem.

I may need an audio person to explain the particulars.

The issue is as stated in previous post. What I realize is that this only happens on audio files that look like this: STE-017.wav etc. The production changed sound recording/mixer method or the recorder changed it themselves. But I have two days of audio;
Day 1 recorded in STE files. These only play in Avid if I solo one of the audio tracks, although I can see waveforms.
Day 2 recorded in z001001.wav, they have a nice Soundreport sheet that accompanies them and the nice thing is that when I import them into Avid they don't show up as z001001.wav, z001002.wav etc they show up in the avid bin labeled by scene and take.
When I Import them they play without a problem. No soloing needed. Double click in viewer and they play right away.

Can someone explain how I can work with the STE labeled audio files?
Can someone explain to me the difference in the type of audio files?

Thanks

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:05:42 pm

I can't find much info on STE files. If you can send me a small file to which you have permission to do so, I can take a look at it. email michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:10:27 pm

Will do.

Thanks

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 22, 2014 at 12:50:13 am

Very strange - these files were recorded on a ZOOM recorder and I have tried everything from separating them into individual tracks, import, re-sync and still the same issue. I cannot find any tools that strip the pan/volume from the file before importing. The Media Composer "remove pan" does not work for some reason on the source clips.

You don't have to load the clip in the timeline to pan. You can have mixer open and load the file in the source monitor and pan full L and R there and it works. The downside is you have to do this 1 clip at a time...

I'll keep noodling.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 22, 2014 at 1:12:14 am

I've solved it, and with a batch process! Using one of my new favorite audio tools, Reaper: http://www.reaper.fm/

Long trail, and very low price.

File>batch process.
Select your files (a copy to be safe)
See picture below for FX setting insert and name.
Process all
Import and you can load source and hear both tracks.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Aug 22, 2014 at 1:56:10 am

Thanks Michael, you are a god send.
I have a ball patch on the right side of my head from pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. And I was not looking kindly to panning each audio clip.

I will use reaper.

"Day 2 recorded in z001001.wav, they have a nice Soundreport sheet that accompanies them and the nice thing is that when I import them into Avid they don't show up as z001001.wav, z001002.wav etc they show up in the avid bin labeled by scene and take.
When I Import them they play without a problem. No soloing needed. Double click in viewer and they play right away.

So I can be more knowledgeable, if you know, can you tell me what audio recorder system you think was used to give me the audio files labeled zxxxxxx? What's interesting is that they are labeled as above, but when imported into a bin they come out labeled by scene and take.

Thanks again.

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 22, 2014 at 2:11:38 am

Any professional audio recorder that records broadcast wav (BWF) and not just WAV that may or may not include iXML metadata will offer the ability to automatically log metadata upon import. The ZOOM recorder just records the audio, but does not have what's called the BEXT chunk that carries the metadata logged on set such as scene, take, track names, etc.

And indispensable tool you need in your arsenal is Wave Agent by SoundDevices. A great free tool to verify timecode, change, correct, split, etc. I have several blogs that refer to using it on my site at http://www.24p.com/wordpress

And as you can see here, Reaper is another one of those tools to have, along with a good file renaming program, and text editor (TextWrangler on OSX), XNView etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:22:18 am

Perfect,
Thanks so much.
I will add them to my tool chest.

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,