FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking R3D files in MC7 from transcode Not AMA

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandla Bolekaja
Relinking R3D files in MC7 from transcode Not AMA
on Aug 19, 2014 at 10:33:10 pm

I'm so lost as to why this is not working.
Workflow is as follows:

1. in RedCine X Pro I drill down to find footage in the browser.
when I drill down I cannot see a clip ending in R3D. I show a clip ending in RDC, when I highlight this the Actual Clip shows up ending in .WS
2. I create a bin and drag the clip into it.

3. I open the export window
4. create a new preset called DNxHD36
5. File format selected to AAF & MXF
6. Set output resolution to 1080p/24 DNxHD 36 8-bit
7. Set Debayer Setting to 1/4
8. I set output location to Output with Custom Output> which sends export to a folder next to original footage named DNxHD36
9. Hit Ok
10. Hit Export Bin(all clips)

Now I see the files in the folder I sent them to. AAF folder, AvidExport.ale(EDL), MXF folder, both folder have the clips in them.

12. I copy the MXF clips and paste them into my Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1, so the clip is copied into the folder labeled 1.
13. I import the AvidExport.ale into a bin labeled DNxHD36 in Avid.
14. I relink, selecting the drive where Avid MediaFiles is located, unchecking Relink only to media from the current project. AND
it doesn't relink.

Can anyone help me find out where I'm making a mistake in this workflow?
So greatly appreciated.

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Relinking R3D files in MC7 from transcode Not AMA
on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:30:38 am

For starters you say 24. Is it 24.000 or 23.976? Not that it matters, but you want to keep frame rates consistent from shoot, to transcode, to Avid project type and 24 and 23.976 are not the same thing.

Assuming all that is correct, I never import the ALE for relinking. Some have success with it, but I find they can unlink over time for no reason whatsoever.

Once you copy files to MXF/1 folder, drag and drop all the AAF files into your bin (or import). Those will relink automatically. If you want to have the additional metadata from the ALE, select all the master clips created by the AAf files and merge the ALE into them.

Michael

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:24:19 am

You're right, it's 23.976, my bad.

Thanks Michael, so there's no relinking needed? It was just my understanding that relinking is necessary. So much that I've read pointed to relinking.

I tried it and it works, thanks.

Mandla

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 10 Lite
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:30:07 am
Last Edited By Michael Phillips on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:32:39 am

Yes, I read that a lot too and makes me go "grrrr" :) especially when there is a method that is far easier with the AAF import. The AAF knows about all the relationship between media, master clip, picture and sound elements as it has all that embedded in the file. ALE is a functional logging file but does not have all that relationship to the media listed for automated relink.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]