FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink MXF´s to Original Uncompressed MOV

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Richert
Relink MXF´s to Original Uncompressed MOV
on Aug 19, 2014 at 12:17:22 pm

Hey all,

I´ve been working on this AVID project for a while now. Please note that this is the first time I´m working on AVID.

As a first step I´ve imported all my MOV files (ARRI Alexa ProRes)and AVID converted them and put them in the Avid Media Files folder. So far so good.

Now that the editing process is complete, I would like to relink the compressed MXF files back to the original source files in order to move to color grading (in DaVinci Resolve).

The file names in the Media Files folder are identical to the original ones (except the extension of course).

Could anyone help me with the workflow? I´d appreciate any input!

best from Germany
Max

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Relink MXF´s to Original Uncompressed MOV
on Aug 19, 2014 at 3:45:29 pm

[Max Richert] "As a first step I´ve imported all my MOV files (ARRI Alexa ProRes)and AVID converted them and put them in the Avid Media Files folder. So far so good. "

Uh...maybe. Did you IMPORT or link via AMA, and then transcode. If you want to link back to the original QT files, AMA is the only way to do that. If you straight imported, the only thing you can do is batch import at a higher resolution.

[Max Richert] "Now that the editing process is complete, I would like to relink the compressed MXF files back to the original source files in order to move to color grading (in DaVinci Resolve)."

Hmmm....not knowing Resolve as well as i should (barely at all), I think that you simply export an EDL from Avid....or AAF, and import that into Resolve, and link to the QT files in Resolve.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:35:50 am

Why not conform to the camera originals (they are not uncompressed by the way, they are compressed ProRes)?

Is it a complex sequence with effects that can need to be conformed in MC and why you want to start in MC, render effects, grade MXF and return AAF to MC?

Based on the above, we can get to next step.

Michael

Return to posts index

Max Richert
on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:32:26 am

"Why not conform to the camera originals (they are not uncompressed by the way, they are compressed ProRes)?"

Sounds like that´s what I´m looking for, how do I do that? The sequence is not complex at all, but it´s very long (95 minutes, barely any effects)...

thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:54:23 am

I should have been more precise; why not conform in Resolve to the camera originals?

Export AAF from MC
Add camera originals to the Resolve MediaPool
Import AAF

Read Resolve Guide for details.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:20:07 pm

If you want to conform in Avid (the term for re-connecting a final timeline to higher quality sources) and you used the file import method to ingest then you will need to use batch import to bring back in the sources but this time select a higher Avid resolution.
This is a slow process and you have to import all the media for each clip used.

AMA linking he sources and transcoding to an Avid resolution makes for a much quicker conform as you can just re-link the sequence to the AMA linked sources.

So it's all down to how you ingested. It's really imported when doing a real job first time on a system to plan the workflow and then actually test it. an hours work at the beginning testing workflows can save days at the end.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]