FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not sure if this exists...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Not sure if this exists...
on Aug 16, 2014 at 11:16:36 am

Hello all,

I'm a freelance editor so have found myself jumping between NLEs recently. I can cut on Avid, and reasonably quickly, but still find that when it comes to making changes to complex timelines, I find myself wondering what the best way to go about things is. I still don't feel like I can make changes as quickly, and with the same confidence that the rest of the timeline is intact, as I can in good old FCP7.

I often think that it'd be great to just sit and watch a really experienced Avid editor cut for a day or two and watch how they make changes to complex timelines to see if they know some tricks that I don't.

Does anyone know of any online guides, or lectures or anything of that sort, that deals with this? It's hard to explain what I want to learn because I'm talking about that moment-to-moment stuff that timelines just throw at you every day. There are thousands of different permutations, and probably just as many ways of approaching each one, so I'd just like to hear someone talk at length, or even simply just *do* a lot of timeline editing to see if I can pick up any tips.

Any thoughts appreciated,
Chris

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Not sure if this exists...
on Aug 16, 2014 at 12:31:24 pm

Have you read Steve Cohen's Avid Agility?

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Aug 16, 2014 at 12:38:36 pm

Yes I have. I learned a lot from it, and having it in my bag gave me a lot of confidence on my first Avid gigs.

Maybe it's that case that I just need to keep practicing to get the muscle memory down, no one is complaining that I'm slow. I just feel like, with FCP, I knew it inside out, and felt confident that I was attacking each action with the best tool for the job. With Avid I feel like I'm taking more button presses and mouse clicks to achieve things, and more often finding later down the line that I've messed something up by accident.

Return to posts index

Colin Hensworth
on Aug 18, 2014 at 6:39:29 am

What are some of the specific situations bogging you down?

I used to feel the same way dealing with complex sequences. Now I think I'm much faster in Avid than I ever was in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]